parmaviolet

neighbour from hell and a visit from the council

:evil: Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I've only just about calmed down over this to be able to post but here goes....

In the street behind there is a woman who has caused nothing but hassle to her neighbours since she moved in. She has caused the police to be called when she spayed her neighbour on one side with weedkiller! She also threatened us with legal action in 2002 (when we were renting out the house next door to her) because we had the cheek to treat our fence with a wood preserver! She wrote that she would take us to court if the odour did not go away by the end of the day! Of course it did! :roll:

Anyway three weeks ago we had 'words' over an issue of access ( she has tresspassed into my neighbours private allyway to which I have a right of way over, but she has no right of access)

Low and behold, a week later I got a knock at the door, to find a man from the regeneration and environmant department. he was investigating a complaint from a neighbour about my chickens. The actual complaint is 'By keeping chickens , I have been encouraging foxes and rats into the area for the last 6/7 months)

Well the guy came in, inspected the Eglu, looked at the garden and was introduced to Audrey and June. I showed him the newly cleaned Eglu/droppings tray and explained how easy it is to keep clean. I told him all about how I bring the food in each evening when I put the girls to bed. I told him that I keep an eye out rats/droppings because the people next door had a problem with rats before we moved in (a good 6 months before we got our girls). I showed him the Erradirat that I use when there is evidence of rats and I told him that apart from a two week period last November we've had no problems with foxes. I estimate that we probably get a fox visit into our garden once every two months (which is not bad for London)

Well, he had a good look round, made some notes and then said that we were keeping them in a scrupulous manner and that ther was no basis for the allegation.

I asked him for a copy of the response to the complainant and they have sent me a copy under the Freedom of Information Act!

I wish to advise that I have undertaken an inspection of the above premises with regard to the keeping of the two hens and the owner's practices in preventing rat harbourage in the area. Inspection revealed that the two hens were being kept in a satisfactory and clean manner and the food source provided for them is removed each night to prevent any attraction for rats to the area. I also inspected the property and noted no evidence of holes, rat runs or droppings. Pest control treatment is also undertaken as required.

With regard to foxes in the area, I wish to advise that the Council has no jurisdiction or enforcement provisions to deal with foxes. I have included some information for you entitled 'Living with foxes' which I trust will be of some assistance.

We've had June and Audrey for nearly two years now and suddenly we get a complaint within a week of the run in with 'Foxy Lady' (one of my neighbours calles her that 'cause this woman is obsessed with keeping foxes out of her garden). Last year she was demanding money from us to trap and incinerate the foxes in the area. None of us agreed to do this as we understand that it can actually increase the problems by upsetting the 'pecking order' & territory of the alpha foxes and lead to in-fighting and more property damage/territorial marking.

Anyway, the main reason for writing this is to let other Eglu owners know that there is nothing to worry about from a visit from your local authority. The guy that came here was quite nice (even though I was seriously angry and indignant that she should be the cause of my having to show a stranger over my property). He was very impressed with the Eglu and took a note of the website.......perhaps we'll have another convert :D

Thank goodness all is OK. What a nasty thing for her to do to you and I'm glad it backfired on her.

I'm living in dread of our neighbour complaining about my hens as we've had to complain twice recently to the council because her dog was barking all night. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she retaliates. The neighbours at the bottom of our garden "can't abide noise" and yet wouldn't help us in a joint complaint about the dog but again, I'm waiting for them to complain about Jenny making her procamation that she's about to lay her egg every day! You can choose your friends but you can't choose your neighbours, my Mum always says. I do so wish I could. I'd have Egluowners all round!

This is interesting as I recently had a conversation with one set of neighbours from a few doors down. They mentioned that they had heard the chooks a few mornings running, quite early. This was said in such a way that I couldn't decide whether they were complaining or not :? Dolly does make a quiet carking noise when she wants to get out of the run in the morning, and Sadie has been sounding the alarm lately when the local ginger tom taunts her. Funnily enough, my immediate neighbours have never complained.

I might mention to them that there's now a lady further down the road who has an eglu and big chooks - I can often hear them from my garden; perhaps it's those they can hear.

Like you Kate, I am always very conscious of them making any noise, and rush out with a water sprayer if I am in the house.

Mine have been making a hideous noise ever since we started getting broodies, and I'm terrified that it's going to result in complaints, which could be awkward as we are leaseholders rather than freeholders, and hackney could theoretically stop us keeping chooks. We asked our neighbours if they had a problem with the noise (while giving them eggs) and they said that they hadn't heard it, so I hope they're not just being nice. But I think it probably sounds worse than it is to me, as I am anxious about it.

I sometimes worry that Junes odd squarks will start complaints, but luckily I get on pretty well with 'most' of the neighbours. Next doors little girl comes in to feed the chooks and we're always in each others homes for coffee etc, . Actually the three of us who(legally) share the alleyway often have each other round for drinks, BBQs etc. My American neighbour does not drive, so if I'm off to IKEA etc, I take her with me. The neighbour further down, plays football with my husband on Monday nights and we're going to his wedding later this year and my husband owns the house behind us so if the tenant got difficult it's would be them or the girls! (I know who Os would favour, he loves June and Audrey :lol: ) It's a bit of an odd situation here as I work in the New Homes industry and this was one of my sites, so I sold most of the neighbours their homes. Consequently I know them all!

We used to live in an apartment here (we sold a larger house and used the apt as a base to travel from when we took 18 months off to travel) but when we saw the Eglu, we knew that we needed a garden so bought this house from the original owners. Our apt overlooked this nutty neighbours gardens (and nearly all the back gdns) and we watched as she waged a mini war on her neighbours trellis (sawing it down). Now she's insisting that we all put trellis up to stop foxes going into her garden! Not normal :evil:

Noise wise, they are no more noisy than any of the neighbours children. I often hear screams and cries from those neighbours who have toddlers/ terrible twos, but I wouldn't dream of complaining! I often ask if they have heard Junes latest outburst, but they nearly always say no! As Aunty e said I think we think it sounds worse as we're anxious about it. As I'm writing I can hear a little tantrum/crying from four doors down! & My girls are silent right now :)

I'm glad the council man was so understanding Clare.

I've just moved - and on the day of the move our fairly new neighbours popped their heads over the fence. they weren't saying goodbye to us - but that they wouild miss the noise the girls make in the morning! Not so much crowing, as chattering to themselves!

I hope my new neighbours think the same way....

I've just moved - and on the day of the move our fairly new neighbours popped their heads over the fence. they weren't saying goodbye to us - but that they wouild miss the noise the girls make in the morning! Not so much crowing, as chattering to themselves!

Maybe they will miss it enough to get their own eglu! :D

Maybe they will miss it enough to get their own eglu! :D

Yep - I was careful to leave an Omlet box of eggs with them so they could keep the details!

:D:D:D

Our neighbour complains about the noise the children make, playing football in our back garden, yet don't bother when Yoda announces to the world that she has laid an egg at 6 in the morning.

Nowt as strange as fowk.......

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Guest

I too have had a problem neighbour.....A couple of years ago she got a warning for harrassing us.... It was pretty hideous at the time.

As the noise of the road where we live is tremendous and continuous, and the local dawn chorus is positively deafening, I am not too worried about about the odd cluck.

Most of us try to get on and be reasonable with everyone, but there is always a nutter about to remind us how normal we are.

sounds terribly like my saturday night here at 2am neighbour having a party.

Nicely (ish) shouted over fence to "SHUT UP" but it carried on.

Called the police and they're response was "we have 17 more urgent incidents tonight and cannot send anyone round"

(well let the drunks in town bash ten colours of preverbial out of each other it was keeping me awake!)

They didn't have a number for environmental health but did say they were the people I needed. Called them and then I nearly died of sheer disbelief.

Police say they need Enviro Health to monitor the noise with their equiptment to decide what action to take. Gloucester Enviro Health employ NO out of hours Enviro Officers so that the police are completely powerless.

Left it to me to then Ring the Doorbell, then rattle the knocker and for good measure I banged their PVC door . The music stopped and my (rather loud reply back) was "Thank you perhaps some of us can get some ****ing SLEEP!)

In my defence it was really hot on Sat night and I am not good when sleep deprived. and the music stopped at 2:30.

he he he . That is Hackney's method of noise control as well, no out of office hours workers. When our upstairs neighbours had an enormous party which spilled out onto all the landings, and hadn't stopped by four, I got dressed, joined in with the throng until I got inside the house, waited til no one was looking and pulled the master fuse out of their fuse box (there house is on exactly the same template as ours). Then left in the furore and went to bed. I gave it back the next day obvo. They moved out not long afterwards...wonder why !

I find people odd. :? We live in a village with a field by us and many around us. The dawn chorus is beautiful...we jhave no problems luckily everyone is basically nice. Why do people worry about the sounds of nature. Car alarms and House alarms are a bloomin' nuisance aren't they. cars and sirens and general traffic. I wish people would worry about the bigger things in life. :roll:

BBx

I'm with Buffie on that.

Sat in garden last evening with Him Indoors and we soon realised that the gentle clucking of the girls was completely drowned out by:

1: Traffic noise. We live on a busy main road.

2. Barking rotweillers x2 ( Very dodgy bloke up road...Baseball cap, trainers, 50+ , bimbo wifelet 20 yrs younger who has had silicone.....erm.. enhancements.....top of the range 4x4's, metal gates....you know the sort.)

3. Children Playing in paddling pool with all the attendant noises.

4. Teenager round corner who plays his drums....badly....outdoors. Another neighbour is about to complain to his parents.

5. Radio somewhere close by.

6. Lawn mowers x 2 at least.

7. Tired toddler protesting loudly.

8. Crows and magpies cawing.

9. Bird song. (Small area of woodland at bottom of garden).

10. Neighbours barbecueing.

All part of the ambience of a neighbourhood.

Good arguements to put forward if someone is miserable and pathetic enough to complain about a few hens.

he he he . That is Hackney's method of noise control as well, no out of office hours workers. When our upstairs neighbours had an enormous party which spilled out onto all the landings, and hadn't stopped by four, I got dressed, joined in with the throng until I got inside the house, waited til no one was looking and pulled the master fuse out of their fuse box (there house is on exactly the same template as ours). Then left in the furore and went to bed. I gave it back the next day obvo. They moved out not long afterwards...wonder why !

Oooooo love your style Auntie e :wink:

Weeeeeeeee, heeeeeeeee, heeeeeeeeeeee :lol::lol::lol::lol:

None of our neighbours complain about the noises the hens make. My neighbours are lovely you see and look after our chickens when we're away. They've even offered to do it the day before they go on holiday, when we're on holiday, but we already have someone else to do it.

Even if they did complain, we'd bribe them with eggs! :lol:

We're pretty quiet here - a bit of traffic from the nearby main road, the occasional yoof gathering in the car park of the flats next door (lots of drum'n'bass :roll: ) - Migsy is more likely to be spooked by noisy collared doves or helicopters from the nearby airport...