Chicky

can you help?

I normally have the run canopy at the front by the gate as its getting colder do I need to take it back nearer the eglu? Not sure what to do.

I also have another problem whenever we go out to put them away or when we go to sort out the washing Henny attacks me and my mum by pecking us hard. My dad just laughs. What are we doing wrong? This actually hurts and is NOT funny. I also feel sad because I love my girls and now I think she doesn't love me back. :?

Thanks Chicky (pink eglu)GNRGNRGNR

Hi Chicky,

As Egluntine says, buy a cheap shower curtain for the front of the run and put your largest Omlet shade at the back. That's what I do.

PICT0361.jpg

Regarding pecking. Are your chooks new/young??? My lot pecked everything in their first few months to see if it was food (a bit like human babies who suck everything). My lot pecked toe nails, stitching on my jeans and shoes, fingers, the lot. Then they quickly realised what was food and what wasn't worth pecking and they stopped. Now they never peck unless I wear a particular skirt with beads on and they always try to taste it just in case :D

Mine used to peck to see if they could eat it! Freckles, spots, burns (now, that does hurt) etc. They do stop that pretty quickly, becuase they learn that you're not edible!!

It's not that they don't like you, it isn't likely to be aggression, just curiousity (or greed!). Cockerels can be aggressive, but usually only when they're mature.

My Lilith did this for a while she started by chasing me out of the run when I was leaving, then progressed to pecking and taking little runs at me when I was in the run doing stuff.

I started turning back around to her and clapping my hands at her as I couldnt get near her to do the hand over the back bit, I did also consider taking the plant water scoosher thingy out and squirting her whenever she started, I was starting to really dislike her because of this but a couple of weeks after facing her up it stopped.

Persevere with your girl it'll come right

our second chicken (in pecaking order) tries to peck us....(the first chicken has grown out of it now she has started to lay)

daughters are scared of her...as am I often, and its no good trying to keep her off with anything, she gets worse and tries to attack more..

I just hope she'll stop when she lays...

:-D

best of luck...