Laura & CTB

Calling all pekin / hybrid owners for advice

oh gosh - I'm all excited now, Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have just got off the phone with a breeder in Kent who will have some bantams available for me in September - I am going over there next Friday to choose my chicks and she says she will ring them for me so they are MINE :lol::lol::lol:

She has bantam lavender araucanas, light sussex, wyandottes and a few others I cant remember the names of - I think I've made my mind up - it's definately bantams for me :lol::lol:

Cant stop smiling

Oooo, that sounds lovely Laura. Light sussex.... that's on my wish list, you lucky girl.

Have a look at them now and choose some, but it might be worth going back again to see them later and deferring judgement until then - they can look a lot different when they grow up and you might then spot something that you'd rather avoid - just a bit of advice.

Nothing scary (sorry, I should have explained better), just bear in mind that young chicks don't bear much resemblence to the grown up item. How old will they be when you're choosing them?

Just go over them carefully, check their feet and legs for any loose scales or sore bits; spread their wings and check the feathers; check their botties for any signs of runny bum and also look in the fluff round their vent and under the wings for any signs of lice. I try to watch them interact with the rest of the flock too, it gives an indication of what thype of bird they are and a chance to pick up on any sneezing or feeding worries.

I am sure that they will be lovely, and I am looking forward to seeing photos.

Exciting news, definately want to see pictures when they arrive :D

I'm reading the camera instructions already :!:

Thanks Clare - I had visions of going back to collect my chooks and finding they'd grown extra toes etc in my absence :wink:

I think they are at about 8 - 9 weeks at the moment.

Thanks Clare - I had visions of going back to collect my chooks and finding they'd grown extra toes etc in my absence :wink:

:shock:

Actually it is possible for hens to grow a spur, or even for chicks to have extra toes in rare cases, it is on the practical poultry forum :shock:

I'm sure it's a 1 in a million chance though, so please don't worry :wink: Just making you paranoid, sorry

:oops: , just ignore me :roll:

[i think they are at about 8 - 9 weeks at the moment.

My Bantams Bubbles and Buttercup were 8 weeks old when I bought them last year. They coped getting in and out of the Eglu and the roosting bars without any problems. They were fully feathered and off heat.

Will you be bringing them home with you?