Martin B

Feed Question

Today I went to the domestic fowl trust to buy some feed and I asked for layers mash like I had before but I reralised when I got home and opened it that is was a powdery feed with little bits of corn and seed in. It says on the front suiatble for chickens. Will they be ok with the diet change and do I need to add water or anything to thicken it up?

---Martin---

There are two grades of mash, Martin, Course and fine. Sounds like you've got fine rather than the course your hens are used to. If they won't eat it, mix it with a little water or yogurt into a porridge for them and they should devour it but you'll need to make up fresh each day as it soon goes mouldy and smells rank!

Mine's very powdery and I just feed it as it is. They tend to create a lot of mess with it though, I put a tray under the grub to catch the worst of it.

Can you mix the old and new food together so that you can introduce it slowly?

Whilst I was on holiday my grandparents gave them the rest of it. There was only a little bit left, and it's now gone.

Today I went to the domestic fowl trust to buy some feed and I asked for layers mash like I had before but I reralised when I got home and opened it that is was a powdery feed with little bits of corn and seed in. It says on the front suiatble for chickens. Will they be ok with the diet change and do I need to add water or anything to thicken it up?

---Martin---

Thanks for the tip