Joojoo

Unclaimed Tax Credits - PLEASE READ...

Phosphorous, Your child did live with you for part of that tax year, and they were under 16 (minus something)

You might get a proportion, and then if one of you pays higher tax rate it might be reduced again.

I'd just fill it in and send it off, let the tax office sort it off. They can only say no!

Unfortunately per the notes though it is a requirement that they were there the whole tax year. I need to go back to the legislation and have a root around (I used to work in Tax for a company years ago so know how to read the legislation). Don't think it is worth us applying if this is the right form. If the Revenue make a mistake and then claim it back from us it will be a pain in the neck.

:doh::doh:

Okay have looked at the actual legislation now, which does allow you to claim as everyone has said, for a child born during the year 2002-03 :lol:

Unfortunately we are still scuppered as Dh earned way too much that year to not have the whole credit clawed back again. I know I am right on this as have just gone through the Inland Revenue manuals and tax calc sheets. So unfortunately no point in us wasting time making the claim. :cry: Dh is really miffed that if his income was a joint income split between us we would be elligible - unfortunately I didn't work that year, other than be pg and have baby (harder work some would say).

Having said all that - the credit is for people who need it, and much as I rejoiced in the idea of a handout and feel we are broke most of the time, I probably need a reality check. The reason we can't claim is because unlike a lot of people in the country we don't desperately need the help (that might change in the next few months as the credit crunch bites even more). So best of luck all of you - hope some of you manage to claw some money back from the IR - about time they gave rather than took! :pray:

DH has brought all the relevant paperwork home for me to deal with...no change there then! It would appear that he phoned the tax office & got a recorded message which said tax returns must be in by 31st Jan, they were all busy so call back later! :eh::eh:

I've filled out the form & will send it off tomorrow, whether I get through to a real person or not at the tax office :? As DH is on the higher rate, we probably won't get much if anything, but as they say every little helps! Do you get it as a lump sum or through the tax code system?

Ever hopeful, Sha x