Joojoo

Unclaimed Tax Credits - PLEASE READ...

Hi

I've just had the following sent to me by a friend. I've checked with HMRC and it looks like we are eligible for £520. Please take time to check yourself - you could be in for a lovely Christmas surprise.

Please read the info below, as you or someone you know may qualify for as much as £1040 back from the Tax Man.

The year before Tax Credits were introduced there was a different non-means tested allowance available which was never advertised by the Inland Revenue.

It is called the Children’s Tax Allowance for the Year 2002/3.

You can still claim this tax allowance before the 31 January 2009 deadline.

You need to phone HMRC and ask them to check whether you have already received this allowance and, if not, enquire as to what action you need to take.

You are eligible to claim £520.00 allowance if;

• You have a child born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003

• The child lived with you for all or part of 2002/2003

• You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003

• You or your partner earned £6,000 plus in the year 2002/2003 tax year

You are eligible for the £1,040 allowance if;

If you can answer yes to the four questions above, and

One of your children was born between 6 April 2002 and 5 April 2003

Notes:-

• Making a claim does not affect your current or future entitlement to Working or

• Child Tax credits.

• Your Marital status is irrelevant

• You cannot claim the allowance twice and if your final tax code on your April 2003 P60 ended in a H or a T, you have already had the allowance.

This is an easy claim for you to make so do not get duped into paying someone to do it for you because they are likely to charge a large percentage for their services.

To contact HMRC go to http://www.hmrc.gov.uk then find "contact us" at the top of the page. Then click on "Find Your Tax Office". It will give you the number to phone your local tax office. They just ask for a few details such as National Insurance No. etc then will tell you if you have already received the tax credit. From what I've heard not many people have so it really is a worthwhile phonecall.

Spread the word as this could be something that gives you a little extra in these difficult times!!

GOOD LUCK :lol:

I've just phoned them & it looks like I've not had it :D:D:D

They are sending me out a form, I have to return it asap for the deadline & once accepted it is about 4-6 weeks before I get the money.

I'm not counting my chickens yet, but if this comes off it will be :dance:

Thanks very much, Joojoo.

I've just phoned them & it looks like I've not had it :D:D:D

They are sending me out a form, I have to return it asap for the deadline & once accepted it is about 4-6 weeks before I get the money.

I'm not counting my chickens yet, but if this comes off it will be :dance:

Thanks very much, Joojoo.

:clap: that is fantastic news Jules. Happy Christmas :lol:

Just a warning that a lot of people are being told that they haven't had it when they phone up but then when they send the forms off they have had it. Easy way is to check the tax code on your P60 for the relevant year. It should end with an H I think if you've already had the extra allowance.

the man told me on the phone to get the person who is the main earner to sign the form, so I have done that. The form is simple and is all ready to be posted tomorrow :) They wouldn't tell me on the phone whether we were eligible he said they had stopped telling people and were going by the application method and they would let you know whether you were successful or not... :?

:think::think:

• The child lived with you for all or part of 2002/2003

• You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003

• You or your partner earned £6,000 plus in the year 2002/2003 tax year

We fulfill all of these. :shock:

Where's me biro?

Do you know whats most annoying was that I looked at the info

and thought wow for once (I never ever get anything- I was entitled to that £500? for ds1 but wasnt told about til ds2 when we were no longer entitled) I'm within the dates. They increased maternity leave on the 6th april. DS1 was born 4th april 2003

Then I carried on reading and • You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003 and thought no poo I don't work. Now I've just realised I went on maternity leave 2003 so I do fit it but can I find my paperwork from then?

Ok help me out here as my brain hasnt worked for the last 6ish years.

I've just found DHS P11d for 2002-03 and 2003-04 and his code seems to end in K

The only things I can find in my name are a p60 01-02 ending in L and a payslipand a random payslip 06/02 ending in L too.

Is it worth me applying?

I'm finding all my paperwork very strange as I do the filing and I will have done all mine as well as his. His is still there all neatly done and mines vanished! good thing you only have to keep stuff like this for 5/7? years.

It looks as if we qualify. DH's tax code that year ended in an L. We actually had 4 children in those dates, but I don't think we'll get 4x £500!

We'll send off the form and wait to see! Thank you!

p.s. we've just had a tax rebate too - £1500. This will help pay off the overdraft left over from being unemployed for so long. :D

I think we may have already had this - I seem to remember getting a tax rebate of around £500 just after Caitlin was born, and being absolutely delighted at the unexpected windfall. Must check the P60's just in case it was something different though! :lol: