Aunty e

Broody Hens - I gave in

Errm, afraid I managed to post this in the wrong thread, so I'm copying it here too. More coffee required I think!

I've edited the other thread for you Jools - L-J

Hurrah! Mum and chick look lovely and lets hope Kitty does the business in three weeks too!

The wire mesh on your broody ark looks a bit big though - are you sure your chick can't get through the gaps? If it can, it will, but won't be able to work out how to get back :roll: ! Yep, speaking from experience here :) !

Oooh, not sure. I've got some green garden mesh I could put over as well? Would that help?

Need to ask for some advice now, chick is still v wobbly, and I'm worried that it won't be able to get over the straw to where I've placed the food and water. Should I now remove the box that Penny brooded in and put in a fresh one, with the sides by the food and water cut out?

I immediately thought that about the mesh too Jools, after one of Lesley's ducklings tried to hang itself in some mesh :roll:

They look lovely aunty and the set up looks so cosy. You'll be able to tell if it's a pekin soon enough as they get their leg feathers quite early on.

Lavinia is hatching in the Rablu; I have put a box lid in the tray inside to contain the nest and the eggs, but cut one side off it to let the chickies get out when they hatch and are mobile. She seems happy enough and I chuck her out into the run 2/3 times a day to ensure that she gets food, water and exercise. Will candle the eggs tonight if it isn't pouring with rain, and will report back tomorrow.

Edited by Guest

Aunty E, the straw might be a bit too much of an assault course for your chick until it's grown a bit. What's the floor in your broody ark - wood presumably? I think you need to put something down otherwise the chick may slip about and end up with splayed legs :shock: . I've heard of people putting some corrugated cardboard or even some kitchen roll down in brooders when they've hatched with an incubator, so you could try that for a few days.

I also think some mesh over the lower part of the mesh on the ark until the chick has grown enough is a good idea, or even some bits of wood or whatever you can find!

EEEEK! Red mite! I think. I was popping some chick crumb near Penny when I spotted tiny tiny tiny little red dots moving across the chick crumb. Is this red mite? What do I do? I have poultry shield, and I was intending on completely throwing out everything in the ark this evening and replacing it with fresh, should I spray the whole ark? And what do I do with Mummy and baby until it dries? I HATE red mite. Going to look at practical poultry's article on it now. Is Poultry Shield safe around chicks? Cos it doesn't half smell.

Yes Poultry Shield should be fine for your chick and remember you will have to repeat the treatment every week or so until you've zapped all the little you-know-whats! Use Diatom in between to kill any stragglers.

Can't really advise on where to put Penny & Baby while you do it ... maybe a cosy cardboard box for this first time would be okay?

Just a thought - check the bag the chick crumb came in :shock: ! I've heard that there's something called a feed mite which lives in and eats pellets/mash, but I hope that's only out-of-date food :shock: !

Chick is running around and eating! It's very active, and seems to be able to get in and out of the house bit with no bother. I zapped the whole thing with poultry shield and gave them a nice new shoebox and straw and popped some news paper on the floor of the house so I can clean it up every day. I put cardboard round the outside of the mesh in case it feels like a bit of free ranging. Other hens are completely disinterested, and far more interested in what Kitty is up to in their nesting box. I caught Bob trying to brood earlier :roll:

Great news Aunty! :D

Mel, I know what you mean! Phil is now no longer going :roll: about me keeping one of the barnvelder hens (if we hatch one), he loved the ones that Lesley has got.

We candled the eggs last night and three of the four are fertile; we could see any blood vessels clearly, but could see a dark mass in them and the air space shows clearly. The last egg is porous and clearly not fertile.

So we should have two barnvelder chicks (hoping one is a hen) and a cream legbar. We'd like to keep one barnie hen and any cocks/surplus will go back to Lesley, perhaps she will sell them as they would be good breeds to have.

:D

I just have to tell you all that we have now received two cards congratulating us on the hatch of our chick! One from my parents and one from my colleagues. All carefully doctored cards of course, my favourite being the one that has 'tiny toes' crossed and and 'tiny talons' written in.

I just have to tell you all that we have now received two cards congratulating us on the hatch of our chick! One from my parents and one from my colleagues. All carefully doctored cards of course, my favourite being the one that has 'tiny toes' crossed and and 'tiny talons' written in.

Love it :D:wink:

Chick continues well, and is still unnamed. He/She looks to be a wyandotte or Nankin, we're thinking wyandotte by the shape, as the eggs came from a chap who breeds buff wyandotte and buff nankins and Chick is rather sweetly exactly the same colour as Mummy. Chick is now very adventurous and greedy, dustbathing frequently and stealing food whenever it can. More photos tonight hopefully if I get home before dark, so you can see how HUGE chick is at two weeks.

Sadly not, Kitty decided she'd had enough. Which is brilliant for her as she can hopefully regain some of the condition she's lost since going broody in JUNE. I'm feeding her up as best I can and the others aren't bullying her at all, which is nice. I'm trying to dissuade Bob from going broody as she's showing signs, but the sound of Chick peeping seems to have put them off. He/She is VERY talkative. And very flighty too. Chick ssems to grow overnight almost, this morning it had a tail that wasn't there last night!