Mrs Frugal Posted July 9, 2005 Share Posted July 9, 2005 Yes, I've got a Kevin and a Kevin-in-the-making too ! Edward Enfield was on TV a few years ago, wasn't he - a thoroughly nice bloke from what I remember and yes, Pink Floyd and the Who were the best acts at Live 8 without a doubt! Awesome! Even my boys are now playing Pink Floyd upstairs instead of modern "stuff"! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Popcorn Posted July 9, 2005 Share Posted July 9, 2005 Bill - The trouble with todays celebs' is that most of them have no real talent other than good looks - and that's debatable. I say bring back the golden oldie multi-talented celebs like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. Debbie Reynolds or Howard Keal, all singing, dancing & acting, with not a bit of plastic in sight! I was chatting with my Dad about the Live8 concert, and we were saying who is going to replace these groups when they have gone? There's just no longevity today? Maybe a few people have lasted the test of time like U2, Madonna etc, and I guess Robbie Williams could be the Frank Sinartra of the noughties. Give me Tom Waits anyday... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 9, 2005 Share Posted July 9, 2005 Nowhere else to put this so I'll squeeze it in here - I'm distraught to realise that I am now the same age as Deidre Those Corrie fans will know who I mean - time for me to head for the nearest high bridge I think! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola H Posted July 9, 2005 Share Posted July 9, 2005 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 I'm distraught to realise that I am now the same age as Deidre [/color] Lesley, I noticed the age reference too, how mean of the scriptwriters! I always thought Deirdre was middle aged/old and I was loads younger. Oops, turns out we're similar Perhaps the research wasn't right We can't be that old Lesley! Yes, loved seeing Pink Floyd together again OH said Who were fantastic but I was watching the tennis That's an age reassurance too. OH is a bit of an oldie playing the drums, now the next generation (couple of generations) have taken over. We need to see bands our age or slightly older! Keep going!! Plus, they were easily the best Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 I'll just console myself with the fact that I don't look as old as Deidre - just off to check the mirror Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 I'm not going anywhere near a mirror! Hasn't she got an amazing voice though? Shame its a smoker's depth though Personally, I think woman blossom in their 50's. Then I would say that! I'm going to be "in my prime" in every decade! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
El Jefe Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 This is my list of celebs: I saw Bill Gates while backpacking in Australia - he was in the Sydney opera house. Peter Andre bowled me over in the street - he was very apologetic. I had no idea how he was at the time, I saw a whole crowd of people screaming outside a music hall later that night and then saw posters of Peter Andre the next morning - and thought "oh, thats the man that knocked me over!" Joan Hickstead who used to play Miss Marple lived in the next village to me - she was a very rude grumpy old lady. Griff Rys Jones is relatively local. Seen him while eating out. I was also taught to paper mache by Damon Albarn (lead singer with Blur) mum. I used to see Annabel Croft regularly when I was on the tennis circuit. I saw the Time Team when they filmed in the next village. Oh - and of course I see J-Lo everyday! Still on the look out for Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt etc Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Popcorn Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 Hasn't she got an amazing voice though? What did I miss Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola H Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 I think Sheila is talking about Deidre from Coronation Street.....You haven't missed much Gina don't worry I think the theme started on the previous page............ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 Sorry - my fault, I went off topic Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Popcorn Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 Where was Deidre singing ? (Sorry, I not a regular on the street) The Deidre I remember had tight permed hair, big round glasses and a stringy neck, I didn't know she could sing though. Infact, I presumed she was still in jail Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 No, not singing, just her speaking voice; really gravelly. I wish I hadn't mentioned it now! My fault too about topic change; I have met Ian Wright (ex footballer) and Ainsley Harriot (chef) on separate holidays. Both very pleasant & charming with delightful families. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 The Deidre I remember had tight permed hair, big round glasses and a stringy neck, It's the neck thing that worries me! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 The turkey look! It'll be polo necks for me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Popcorn Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 You'll be fine Lesely. At least everything else will match, unlike Anne Robinson or Joan Rivers! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 10, 2005 Share Posted July 10, 2005 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Louise Posted July 11, 2005 Share Posted July 11, 2005 I met the late Lesley Crowther when I was helping a friend at the London Toy and Game fair about 15 years ago. He was one of the nicest people I had ever met he took the time to listen and talk to you and he talked about his family and grandchildren absolutely lovely man. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Popcorn Posted July 11, 2005 Share Posted July 11, 2005 He sounds a bit like Matthew Kelly, Louise. A friend of mine makes 'sets' for Nottingham Playhouse, and Matthew Kely was in a play there. He said he was one of the nicest fella's he'd ever met. Really down to earth. He said he much preferred working in the theatre to his TV stuff, but had to do the TV stuff as the theatre didn't pay too well, to keep him in the life-style he is accustomed to. Lesley - all my good intentions end up sounding quite rude. I didn't mean to imply you had a wrinkly face , I do apologise, (heart being in the right place and everything!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted July 11, 2005 Share Posted July 11, 2005 I'd forgotten, I've spent a week with Matthew Kelly (& other people too, I mean) and found him really deepthinking & sincere. Yes, I always think Lesley Crowther's daughter is lovely; a warm family. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted July 14, 2005 Share Posted July 14, 2005 Bill Bryson! He received an honorary degree at Hull University and had the sense, when required to make a speech, to keep it short & witty. (Wish the other speakers had.) In addressing the graduates, he made 4 points, the gist of which were; 1. Every day when you wake up...be glad to be alive...be really glad about that. 2. Be very glad, that never in your lifetime, will George Bush be president of your country. 3. If you are out, walking in the street, & you see someone drop litter..........shoot them! 4. Finally, enjoy life. Really do that, as much as you can, most of the time, enjoy life. Would say it made my day, but son had already done that; & didn't fall over, phew! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 14, 2005 Share Posted July 14, 2005 I like that Sheila - especially No.3 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Popcorn Posted July 15, 2005 Share Posted July 15, 2005 What a wise man old Bill is! Ok, I'm going to list some of my 'shoulder brushing' with the stars. 1. Sat next to Michael Portillo on the train. We got talking and he was a very nice man. Shattered my illusions of him being a stuffy right winger. 2. Went to the wedding of the trumpetter from the Beautiful South - I worked with his then girlfriend, now wife - and met the whole band, plus a few other celebs from the Boo Radleys (remember those!) 3. Was at an exhibition in London, in a marquee style tent, and the heat was unbearable. Wondered outside to find a shady spot and plonked myself down under a tree. Lady sat on the other side of the tree offered me a sweet, and it was Cher! She was accompanied by a very nice cockney body guard, and we had a few minutes of chin wagging 4. CHAS & DAVE - very nice men. Sat on Chas's knee! 5. Worked in a nightlcub in Birmingham (Old Orleans on John Bright Street for anybody who cares to know) and the cast of Corrie came to see us! Had a last dance with Des Barnes - Phwoar (that was in the days of singledom) 6. On a works trip to Paris, I walked past Elton John on the Champs El'esey. He was surrounded with the biggest body guards you've ever seen So, to name but a few - that's my claim to fame! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted July 15, 2005 Share Posted July 15, 2005 Good collection there Gina - I was going to say 'you get around a bit' but it might be misconstrued Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Popcorn Posted July 15, 2005 Share Posted July 15, 2005 you getting your own back on me Lesley for the Deidre comment Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...