ebaygirl

Kitten feeding advice please

Hi everyone

I wonder if any of you can offer me some advice.

We have a 12 year old moggy called Bean - black and white and a sweetheart. We feed her on Royal Canin Outdooor Mature 28. She likes it and is happy!

We also have 2 Maine Coon kittens - 21 weeks old, silver tabbies - called Raffles and Jazz, but collectively known as the beastie boys! They are fed on Royal Canin Kitten 36 for kittens up to 12 months of age.

My problem is that they don't want it - the breeder fed them on this and all was fine for the first week or so of them being with us. However, all they want now is Bean's food. They are fed in opposite corners of the kitchen so I have tried putting their food in Bean's bowl when she isn't around to see if it might be a territory/location thing. (Teir bowls are all the same make/design) But no, they prefer her food!

I don't really know what to do, to be fair I haven't spoken to the vet yet, but that may come next week. Raffles is growing well, he's going to be huuuuge. Jazz is smaller, but still growing well so they are eating enough. However food for mature cats is not good for kittens and I can't keep taking Bean's food out of reach from them as then she comes to eat and there is none!

Phew! I've gone on enough. Has anyone got any good ideas? Experience with this type of thing? Recommendations for a different food?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Have you tried the Royal Canin Maine Coon? Mine love it - and its good for Coonies because it has really large biscuits that they have to chew rather than swallow whole like normal biscuits. I get my next Maine Coon kitten next week and to be honest he will have the same food as the grown ups. The breeder does not recommend kitten food as it can be very rich and may not agree with them. Even my two over twelve cats have the same food as everyone else- we don't have fussy eaters in this house :) I do change biscuits around as they can get fed up with the same thing - sometimes Royal Canin, or Arden Grange or James Wellbeloved. They eat anything! I would go for any quality food - none of it will do them any harm.

That's great advice, thank you. I was unsure whether to go straight for the Maine Coon food as it was such large pieces and on the pack it says from 15 months of age, but I'll try it. Hopefully Bean can re-claim her dinner and the boys won't have come to too much harm. I was told elswhere that the Mature food has too much glycosamine in it for young 'uns.

I'm sure it was easier to bring up the children!

Sarah

You are completely right! I have never owned pedigree cats before and I seem to have turned from a normal, sane, straight thinking person into a precious idiot! :?

I need to re-train myself and stop now!

What is your next Maine Coon kitten going to be? Boy/girl, colour? I have to admit to now being totally obsessed with them - I was warned that this would happen though!

Thank you for being the voice of reason for me. :D

Sarah

What is your next Maine Coon kitten going to be? Boy/girl, colour? I have to admit to now being totally obsessed with them - I was warned that this would happen though!

I got a Maine Coon earlier this year, am also totally obsessed with her, would love to get another one, but prudence is now my middle name. I feed mine on James Wellbeloved

kitten food, was going to change to the bigger cat food when she is a year old. You are so lucky having two.

Tessa

Oh, and don't forget that Maine Coons don't stop growing until they are 4 - are you really going to feed them kitten food until then? :wink:

No! I'm not that mad/daft! :lol:

I was getting too fixated on the 12 months thing, but you have talked sense into me and I shall relax immediately.

Normal food here we come - for everyone... ! :D

Sarah

Here is Jazz at 13 weeks

cat1.jpg

and here is a ping pong ball about to be dealt with

cat4.jpg

Raffie and Jazz at 16 weeks

cat7.jpg

and here they are at 20 weeks

cat9.jpg

'He's my bruvva and I love him - honest!' (Raffie facing camera, Jazz somewhere underneath!)

Sarah

Edited by Guest

Do it, do it, do it! :twisted:

They are such great cats. Ours are now doing 'circuit and bump' around the ground floor.

Right, enough stirring. I'm off to bed.

Night, night.

Sarah

I can see how gorgeous they are. A few on here have got them and they sound absolutely wonderful. I don't think my 6 moggies would be too impressed if I bought another one home though :lol:

Out of interest are they indoor cats or do you let them outside?

Jue x

They haven't been out yet, but they will do. We live in a reasonably rural area so I hope that they will be ok. They are such active cats that it would be unfair to keep them as indoor cats.

I'll start introducing them to the garden now as I go out to do more out there. I have to clean out the girls today, so maybe I could start then...

Sarah

They are gorgeous boys - wiat till they get their grwon up coats!Which breeder did you get them from?

At the risk of boring everyone - here are my cats!!!

Tilly (Premier darktower catalina)

tillyfullbodycropcopy-1.jpg

Storm (Darktower Storm)

stormfullbody-1.jpg

Simba (Premier Zaralaska Firestarter)

simabfaceshoteyeeditcopy.jpg

Maya (Indykatz Maya)

mayabellycopy.jpg

Jaffa

jaffafacecopy.jpg

Taz ( Darktower Antonio) died Sept 08 aged 3 years

Tazfacecopy-1.jpg

and finally Alfie (Daktower Ohio) arives 17th jan 2009

darktowerkitties009-1.jpg

Wow! They are all so gorgeous, I love Simba's eyes - so wise-looking!

My boys came from Liz Pugh at Hams Hill near Stroud.

Raffie's 'proper name ' is Hamshill Koon Shadow and Jazz is Hamshill Oohbooskadoo

Liz is a lovely woman, we got on well and I felt very comfortable with her. Some of the other breeders I spoke to were a bit erm... odd to say the least!

You obviously get on well with the people at Darktower! Where are they based?

Have you started counting the sleeps until Alfie arrives?!

Sarah

Sorry, I meant to say I am so sorry for the loss of Taz. Such a handsome boy, you must miss him a lot. To lose him after only 3 years must have been a shock.

Yes - when I was helping a friend to buy a maine coon 8 years ago i found out there was a breeder about 500m down my road!! My friend got one from her then and has had a further 3 from her since then. I had a white girl to start, who died when she was 2, replaced her with Taz and Tilly, couldnt resist Storm and when we lost have waited for a litter that was due, and are now having Alfie.Needless to say both my friend and I are good friends with the breeder ( who also got us into showing) we have meals at each others houses and have seen Alfie grow up since he was a few days old - went to see him again yesterday and cant wait for next Saturday morning! :D:D