alih

Honest pros and cons re exbatts please

I have only had my ex-batts for six days, but so far I can only think of pros.

For one thing, they lay eggs! Every day! My other hens are useless: the three hybrids have stopped laying, and the pure breeds are taking the winter off.

They are much healthier than I imagined they would be. Luck is probably involved; but there is no guarantee with any hen that it is going to be fit and healthy.

I would say, however, that you need a separate run for them to start off with: they just don't understand hen life and need to acclimatize.

All ready to go :D:D

Cat baskets already strapped into the car and spare hen house sparkling and ready for action :D:D

I'm so looking forward to getting my two ex-batts tomorrow, they will get LOTS of TLC.

Hope everything goes to plan and its not too cold over the next few days :)

Hello Ali, have just noticed this thread. Our retired ladies arrived last June and apart from accidents which couldn't have been foreseen we have had no problems at all. Their laying has been inconsistent but I think that has been due to external factors (mink & dog) and not them. The satisfaction gained by seeing them develop into fully feathered birds which do "chickeny things" has been enormous. They are feisty little madams which never fail to bring a smile to my face. :D:D:D Allison

awww... your chooks sound lovely. I have 3 chickens but no ex batts as they are harder to look after... well done for giving it a go! :clap:

Maybe you could feed your chooks bokashi bran - it really helps chickens lay consistently!

(purple eglu)

3 chooks:

GNR Hazel

GNR Chestnut

GNR Ranger

I cant think of any cons when it comes to exbatts......Mine are perfect, even if they all trooped into the kitchen today and somebody pooed on the floor.....I get 4 eggs most days. I keep telling them not too. i have a fridge full of eggs. i have a spare eglu if you need to borrow one. I live in cheadle hulme in cheshire.I am going to get some more chooks later on in the year but i would like to actually rescue them from the cage myself if it is posible. Love Sue

I think ex batts are great and it is fantastic to see them develop but I got 3 and 2 of them developed peritonitis and after treatment have since gone to chicken heaven. I have only one left. I got mine in November 07, and the 2nd was PTS 2 weeks ago, so I guess that is probably average innings for ex batts.

Having got my ex batts on Saturday, and then losing one on the following day, I speak from experience when I say that you have to be prepared for the sad possibility that they may not survive for long. This is not only very upsetting, but may also incur unexpected expenses at the vets, which you also need to keep in mind. However, I would not let that put me off doing it again.