alih

Honest pros and cons re exbatts please

I am really trying to persuade OH to let me rescue a couple of ex batts in the near future. Their care would be totally down to me (as it is with my current 3) which is fine but I would appreciate honest advice.

I will have to beg/ borrow an eglu and run for a few weeks. How soon do you think they can be merged with bruisers?

Will they be warm enough in this weather without heat lamps etc- I am very low maintenance and work full-time so have no special facilities. Or would it be better to wait till spring?

I will only be able to have 2 - is this ok?

I know they need tlc which I am looking forward to giving but is it realistic to work full- time when they first arrive or should I take some time off work to settle them in?

Will the 5 eventually be ok in a cube with standard run plus 2 x extensions?

Honest replies much appreciated. I completely understand the satisfaction of the ex batt experience but would like to know the realities of adoption.

As always, thank you for your words of wisdom in advance :D

I will have to beg/ borrow an eglu and run for a few weeks. How soon do you think they can be merged with bruisers?

I kept mine in quarantine for a month,mainly to build up their strength as their muscles were very poor. I wanted them to be able to stand up for themselves in a squabble

Will they be warm enough in this weather without heat lamps etc- I am very low maintenance and work full-time so have no special facilities. Or would it be better to wait till spring?

They will be warm enough. The inside of the Eglu gets very warm at night.

I will only be able to have 2 - is this ok?

I think I'm right in saying that the BHWT generally only allow you to take 3 or more. That was the case when I got my girls. Best to ring and find out. Adele at Haslingden will be your nearest coordinator.

I know they need tlc which I am looking forward to giving but is it realistic to work full- time when they first arrive or should I take some time off work to settle them in?

I think it would be OK to work, especially now that the days are lengthening, but if you can wangle a few days off....all the better. You might feel happier about it.

Will the 5 eventually be ok in a cube with standard run plus 2 x extensions?

Definitely! :D

Honest replies much appreciated. I completely understand the satisfaction of the ex batt experience but would like to know the realities of adoption.

PS...I can lend you an Eglu. :D

I was rather nervous about the care required for ex batts too. :anxious: But on 3rd Jan i took the plunge as there was a rescue in our area.

I can honestly say I have had the greatest pleasure from seeing them develop into real chickens. They are the most endearing of characters and truthfully it wasn't a lot of work.

We had six already so took the intros quite slow using the spare eglu. (Ideal for the purpose because of its height from the ground)

It was minus 5 degrees some nights and below freezing some days and I worried a lot about that but they were fine. The BHWT gave me some of the better feathered ones because I didn't have access to heat lamps so let them know your set up. They were a bit oven ready at the front though (If you know what I mean)

It was a minimum of 3 by the way.

I work 4 days a week and have a busy life with 3 kids but found it easily managable.

I would recommend it to any one that asked :D

Good luck if you go ahead :clap:

Hi,

I got 3 ex batts in October last year.

I got girls that were in pretty good nick out of the choice - as I was due to have a baby 3 weeks later and knew I wouldn;t be able to spend a huge amount of time with them.

They stayed in QR for about 3 weeks, and then were let in with 3 pekin bantams - and guess what the ex batts ruled the roost!

They have been very satisfying, and when sadly 2 of the girls passed away over the last 12 months it was very very upsetting, as they are the friendliest chickens I have ever had. You have to teach them everything!

The only downside we had was that they laid a lot of very soft shelled eggs in the nest box, and this then needed cleaning out every day - which was a chore. Barbara hasn't laid an egg in about 6 months now, so I don't have that worry anymore.

Vicki

Hello Ali, have just noticed this thread. Our retired ladies arrived last June and apart from accidents which couldn't have been foreseen we have had no problems at all. Their laying has been inconsistent but I think that has been due to external factors (mink & dog) and not them. The satisfaction gained by seeing them develop into fully feathered birds which do "chickeny things" has been enormous. They are feisty little madams which never fail to bring a smile to my face. :D:D:D Allison

The good news is that I could have just 2........so have emailed OH to put it to him (ie tell him it's all fine and cheap and easy and I will do it all!) so waiting with baited breath now...but there is another rescue for March ish if this fails :D

Great news alih! :D

I've not had chooks before so have no means to compare, but did not find my six little monsters to be hard work. Of course, they all came together, so I've not tried introductions yet and I'll have that fun to come in a short while as I have my name down for three more in March :dance:

My worst-condition ones were almost totally bald and it's taken a long time to get them fully-feathered. Egg-laying has been a little sporadic from my worst two, but I have never had less than two eggs a day and have had many six egg days as well :D

The pros? You will love them at first sight, particularly any that are truly pathetic, they soon become friendly and very nosey, and you get to watch them grow and develop from sad little s"Ooops, word censored!"s into confident cheeky chooks :D

Oh, and they'll soon endear themselves to your OH too. My little madams have charmed everyone so far, even those that didn't particularly like chooks ( :shock: ) - they are quite irresistible :lol:

Hi,

My expeience with exbatts has been very positive, and hassle free - but I was not introducing them to any existing flock - they are really hardy and very super friendly,

(and ssshhh my favourites).

and they pecking order was sorted out in days and never vicous.

so glad you are giving more of these girls the retirement they deserve.

S x

Just come off the phone to Adele and have got 2 girls reserved for Sat 7th Feb! Am very excited and wanted to thank you all for your words of encouragement (not that it was encouragement I needed!! :oops: )... will post piccies once they are here next weekend :D now for name choosing!!

Good luck with your new girls!

I'm picking up 2 ex-batts this weekend and spent yesterday cleaning and disinfecting our spare hen house for their arrival. Ditto 2 cat baskets for their collection :)

After a month the new girls will live with my other hens all being well. I wish I could offer to take more - but every little helps :D