MadMitch

Bee Keeping

I know a farmer who runs one-day bee-keeping courses and will supply the starter setup, complete with bees, too.

He knows his stuff, he's kept them for years and his honey is lovely (as is the rare breed pork and beef, and the free-range goose at Christmas).

My sister has always been into this idea and I had thought of buying her the course as a birthday present.

I have also investigated keeping bees. Try your local bee keeping society, Google bee keeping 'your area', they often have meetings and some hold classes. My local one doesn't hold classes but they have suggested I go along to some meetings when they start up again in the spring and go from there. I too would love to go to an all day course, but Leeds is a bit far away. :(

I've just booked on a course - starts next week! I am interested but want to find out more about it, particularly whether it is really possible in a suburban garden.

As Maggie says, if you go to the British Beekeeping Association and follow links for your local Beekeeping group, they are likely to run a course - the one I'm doing only costs £35 for six weeks, and includes a visit to an apiary at the end. I thought joining a local one would be good, as I would find out about local stockists, or people who have spare kit to sell, if I decide to take it up.

As I understand it, they don't require a lot of attention in terms of time spent, but you do need to check them regularly especially in the summer. Hopefully I will know more in a few weeks!

We've done the course and got the bees......

It can be expensive but needn't be - beekeepers are always willing to help out.

We buy our hives from an Ebay shop from a man who makes them himself - they are already assembled and cost far less than ones from the main suppliers.

It's not worth skimping on the cost of protective clothing but you can borrow until you're sure beekeeping is for you.

Time wise it isn't very time consuming. An hour a week from March time through to August - August requires more time as you will be taking off the honey, then back to an hour a week through 'til October.

A lot of beekeepers keep their bees in surburban back gardens and there are ways of getting the bes to fly upwards and away from neighbours.

.......and.....when putting syrup feed in during a poor summer....it's fine to wear shorts and flip-flops as the bees can't get into the top section........but if you whack the feeder with a wooden spoon to dislodge sugar crystals then all the angry bees will fly out of the hive entrance....straight up your shorts and inflict lots of stings..........won't they Carl? :roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

...no, I haven't stopped laughing yet :lol:

.......and.....when putting syrup feed in during a poor summer....it's fine to wear shorts and flip-flops as the bees can't get into the top section........but if you whack the feeder with a wooden spoon to dislodge sugar crystals then all the angry bees will fly out of the hive entrance....straight up your shorts and inflict lots of stings..........won't they Carl? :roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

...no, I haven't stopped laughing yet :lol:

:shock:

Ouch! Nasty!

but I have to admit to laughing....sorry Carl.

I don't know if this post trail had gone dry, but best recommendation for anyone considering keeping bees is to call up your local beekeepers association. Locall assoc contacts are at the web site http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php

They're a welcoming bunch & gives you the chance to get a feel (& a sting) under supervision before you commit.

If there's anything I can help with please ask.

Thanks Skippi - in fact, it's developed a whole thread of its own here. It seems that lots of chicken-keepers also keep bees, and in fact that's borne out by my own local group, at least three of whom keep or have kept chickens!

Please do join in that thread, there are lots of us who are total beginners this year, and it would be really good to have another experienced beekeeper on there!

PS Welcome to the forum!