bluekarin

A few hamster queries

Hi, we have two hamsters; one we bought from our local pet place and was about 8 weeks old when we got him and the other was 'rescued' from someone my mum works for as he wasn't being looked after properly, and he is probably about 2 years old now. Its the older one that I am a bit concerned about. He sometimes has one eye closed for a day or two and then is fine. I am assuming this is because he has scratched it on the bedding. However, today both eyes were shut. I tried to wipe them with damp cotton wool and he eventually opened one eye. He wasn't too impressed with that. Also, he smells quite strongly of urine and his underside is looking a bit yellowy. I tried cleaning this too. Does anyone know if its okay to give them a shallow bath with some mild soap? I think he is getting a bit elderly now as he falls asleep outside of his house, usually after he's had a drink.

Any advvice is most greatfully appreciated :D

Your poor second hammy is dying in old age of either kidney failure or diabetes.

Both these conditions are ubiquitous in aged hamster life.

I would keep him clean and very warm .... (a hottie bottie would ease his passing) and just let him go. It's probably only a matter of hours now.

2 is about it really for hammies though pet shops would have it otherwise .... easier to sell to children.

When I had a hamster I did used to give him a bath in a shallow bowl of warm soapy water, particularly as he got older he used to like it, but make sure he's kept warm afterwards.

Does sound like he's getting on in age and it's fab he's got someone so caring looking after him and keeping him comfortable.

The good news is he is much better. His eyes are open. Still smells though so we wiped his tummy over with a babywipe (probably not the best thing to use, but I wasn't sure how he'd be sitting in a bath). We think he had a cold. My ED looked up his symptoms and one vet recommended we bring him into our local one for antibiotics. Now I thought antibiotics didn't work on colds? Hmmm