Richard and Jo

isa brown chickens

We got a new chicken today- an Isa brown. Has anyone else got one? Seems like a nice breed.

After looking for alternative suppliers on the net following meadowsweets demise we were about to travel to Worthing when we found a supplier less than a mile from our house! No Amber stars unfortunately so we only got one chook for now.

We had an isa warren (similar) who was lovely, very soft feathers, laid an egg 7.30 every morning and made a beautiful boc boc noise, but sadly took on a fox.

There's one company (France?) who breeds them for their ability to lay eggs. I googled but couldn't find a lot. We got ours from Terry Beebee (Practical Poultry) who is fairly local. I'll search for a photo later...

We had two Isa Browns from 17 weeks old, bred to be free range (although they are hybrids and, I think originally designed to be high laying battery hens) and they were lovely characterful, easy to handle hens who laid an egg apiece every day for about eighteen months. Sadly, one died a few months ago.

I don't know if its characteristic of the breed but neither of them really moulted properly and our remaing one has never been off lay although she's down to two or three eggs a week now at age 2 and a quarter. We wish she would stop laying to give her poor little system a rest.