buffie

The Rescue Experience

Thanks for your support everyone and thought I'd just give you an outline of the day.

I wasn't sure what to expect but felt sick, really sick, with nerves, excitement and also emotion. I wanted to be part of this not a spectator but was unsure if my senstivity would blow it, would I break down in tears and have to sidle off to regroup.

Media interest was very good, Woman's Own, Richard and Judy, Local News and newspapers, all here to see this and report it back to the egg buying public. Jimmy Dohery and his girlfriend had arrived and Jimmy was busy doing a piece to camera.

As the vans approached, I just felt a rush of pride, pride that this was happening and there was so much support and interest. It was emotional but quite different from what I expected. As the convoy pulled into janes farm the heads of the recued girls were pocking out of the crates and I was hit by the smell and the noise. hundreds and hundreds of hens clucking.

The first job was to pull out the crates ready for unloading and find shade, the storms hadn't come but a warm sunny day welcomed the girls, a breeze gave a little relief. I grabbed enthusiastically at a crate and went to move it with Jane, saying "Hi Jane, I'm Jayne Cox", we hadn't met before just spoken on the phone and e mailed. We exchanged pleasantries and got on with the job in hand. I couldn't believe the weight of these crates but adrenaline kicked in and soon we were all running like clockwork. This was beautifully planned with the hens best interests always priority.

After official launch by Jimmy of the charity we were ready to clip the claws. I stationed myself in a barn, with other volunteers, to take the clipped hen to food and water, a real production line. The shock element didn't really hit me, these hens didn't resemble mine, these had very bare knecks, the battery cage wears the feathers away as they eat. They had sores and were pale. Ghost like eyes and faces as they have no sunlight. This would change over a few days as they have sunlight. Their combs were pale and huge. This happens as they have little ventilation and get hot. They had been debeaked. The beak is clipped to stop them pecking each other, they are more likely to do this as they are not able to carry out natural behaviour.

They couldn't walk but believe me within minutes some were sunbathing others preening, pecking and scratching even jumping onto hay bales, well more of a scramble as they have very weak bones and muscles. You just had to smile and be amazed. This was instict and the deprivation of this in the battery system is down right cruel.

The hen poop was everywhere, these hens showed an obvious sign of poor health as their droppings were like water. You were soon covered in it and we made jokes about poop coloured tee shirts and the latest fashion. The humour is something that lightens the moment as the number of hens in several locations makes you aware of the enormity of the battery cage system.

A point I need to make is that these hens had been well treated by battery standards. Only 3 would probably need extra hospitalisation. One rescuer was a vet, lovely young woman, she loved hens with a passion, something we all had in common. She checked them over and put a few weak hens in isolation. This was the hilton compared to their last 52 weeks!

These poor egg machines were still laying, some soft eggs but thin shelled. These spent hens were used up and worn out but they were about to start a very happy life. A cockerel was also saved, he may one day be able to crow.

Towards the end of the day I had the chance to wander round and see the hens in the hospital. These were also coming on well, one that was sleeping constantly at the start and unable to walk was up and eating, lovely site. Jane had kept one hen for herself, a lucky hen with beige feathers, pretty little thing.

The condition of the hens didn't matter they were pretty and smart and brave. They were weak but had a real dignity about them and strength.

The adoption process ended the day as we boxed up from 3 to 50 hens at a time going to new homes. I kissed them as they went into the boxes and we wished them a happy new life.

This was the most rewarding day I have had. It finished with a glass of bubbly and a feast of local freshly prepared food. It was like a family meal, without the cross words. Just support all around. We watched the local news bulletin and saw the first images of the rescue. We cheered and raised a toast to The Battery Hen Welfare Trust, now a Charity!

Bx

Oh Buffie, what a lovely post - I must admit I am in tears.

I share your feelings in your apprehention about your emotional state in starting the resue, I would definatly be in bits, but would hope that I too would focus on the good times to come for these hens, and get stuck in.

It really does break my heart that we (not us, of course) treat animals like this for our own selfish needs. Thank god for the charity and hopfully to soon see an end to this type of egg supplying.

You and the rescue team are angels, and all those people who can offer these hens a good home for the remainder of their lives.

Can I send you a vitual hug......here it is, get ready to catch it.....

:P WELL DONE BUFFSTER ... got to say, even the farm where I work, have free-range paddock chooks, and they HATE battery farms and sub-standard animal husbandry of any kind 8) .

Alot of cheap food has been produced to supply the supermarkets, a major supply/demand catch 22, and all goodness has been lost along the way :x

Big hugs of congrats ....... :P

Thanks for all your support and hugs, I'm sending some back!! :wink:

Rescue hens can be arranged through jane, where do you live steph and alex? Check www.thehenshouse.co.uk. She's rushed off her feet at the moment but will talk to you I'm sure. Maybe call next week. 8)

I do feel this is a journey I needed to take I can be a bit of a mouth and no action, until this year that is. I'm 40 in Jan and decided I wanted to make somethings happen for me in all areas of life. You lot and these girls have been the icing on the cake, thanks one and all.

Need to get a get together organised!!

:P

Bx

Just echoing what everyone else has already said buffie, thanks for sharing the experience with us. It's sounds amazing, moving, inspiring and distressing all in one. Well done you :)

And how brilliant to hear of the chooks incredible powers of recovery, they probably couldn't believe their luck to be free :) Quite humbling really, I hope they all go to have happy, peaceful and pampered lives somewhere :)

Steph and Alex did you e mail Jane? She is so busy and did another rescue today. I'm sending some stuff to her so will pop a note in re this and other stuff. Send me a pm with your e mail if you want a response from her. She has told me it will be a couple of weeks before she speaks to me as volume of interest is sky high!

Bx

Thank you for sharing all that Buffie.

I admire you being able to do it - I get so angry about animals being ill treated and in the farming world I think battery hens are in the worst system.

I have to fight to keep my mouth shut if I see someone buying battery eggs - such cruel indifference for the sake of a few pence.

Honestly it's nothing you wouldn't do. I had the time available and I have no children so with Mikey(pug) to baby sit (furries and featheries) I didn't make any huge sacrifice. I thought I could be useful and also pass on the events of the day and raise awareness.

You've taken the message and spread the word so that's your part of the job. it's working and you're all part of it.

Well done all of us, hens will benefit from this and I hope this will be the start of a change in egg production in this country.

Bx

Hi Guys,

Well done Buffie - very impressed, bless you. I wanted to do a rescue myself but I cry just thinking of these poor hens so I would be a liability on the day! So, I did the next best thing, I sent a donation, which, Jane Howarth told me, bought 4 rescue crates, which pleased me no end.

I would love to have rescue hens but acquired our darlings before I knew anything about rescue hens! Having witnessed our girls establishing a blood-bath of a pecking order with 2 hens we were holiday-sitting recently, I don't think it would be fair on a weaker, battery hen to introduce her into our eglu! Next time though....

For Christmas I'm going to ask anyone who wishes to buy me a present to make a donation to the Battery Hen Welfare Trust for me.

:lol:

Hi Angela

Well done, that's wonderful! :D You'd be surprised how you feel, your emotions chnage when you see the job at hand. I cried my eyes out watching the TV programme and was convinced I'd cry when I saw them but no.

The battery girls are like 'bronx kids' I suppose, they've had it tough and our little soft girls would be in for a possible bruising from them, that's why I decided not to adopt myself also I can help in other ways.

I am in talks with the omlet guys about supplying eglu/chicken stationary, cards, calendars etc with a donation for each sold to the trust. That's my bit and also spreading the word.

Thanks again for your support

bx

8) What a great idea re the stationery/cards and donations via Omlet. I hope the guys at Omlet can foresee a way of doing that. It's a promotion for their company too..........but perhaps they don't need that anyway! I can see the Christmas cards now........eglus covered in snow, chickens in their run with tinsel draped around it. Ahhh. I'd certainly buy them.

There is a cafe down the road from me which my friend and I often drop by into for breakfast or lunch. When I read about the battery hens and the conditions they're kept in, I went into this cafe and instead of my usual "2 eggs on toast please" I asked the owner (infront of around 20 builders all tucking into their fry-ups) "are your eggs free range or battery hen eggs?" to which he replied "what are battery hen eggs?" and I proceeded to tell him in great detail. You could have heard a pin drop! He was shocked at the conditions of battery farming and said he would have a word with the owner re only having free range eggs. I said I wouldn't be having their eggs unless they did. I went back the next week but the owner is not having it, profit must come first.......! I keep asking about the battery eggs, every week and they won't budge so I have refused to frequent their cafe. A real shame and as I went in there every other day, a loss of profit for them, surely? Unfortunately I haven't found a cafe who serves free range eggs......if anyone living in Acton, London can guide me on where to find a free range serving cafe, I'd be grateful!

Cheerio for now!

That's the stuff! :wink:

If we all have the guts to do it you will make a difference. The mayo and salad cream was my concern this summer, the sachets in pubs. I felt as if I was being awkward when eating out but even Mikey refuses to eat anything if the source of eggs isn't known. He did the shopping yesterday and said I bought dried lasagne not fresh because he checked all labels!!

My mum bought me some coleslaw, I had made some, from sainsbury's quality rnage. I was squirming because I had to tell her it was battery eggs. She was upset she'd bought it!!

Bx

I too upset my Mum last week..........she loves my girls eggs but I don't often have enough to share them with her so she supplements her store of them by buying from Asda. I was horrified to find she'd bought battery hen eggs! It was lack of education on her part I'm sure and she seemed to be preoccupied with the money saving on the cheaper eggs so I said something along the lines of "well, if you continue to buy these eggs, I won't feel comfortable sharing my girls eggs with you" (blackmail, I know :oops: , but let's face it, she is saving money anyway by my giving her eggs!) When I explained that the nutrional value of battery hen eggs must be lower than free range, she seemed to be sold anyway.

I'm getting braver by the minute! I even rang UniLever's head office in the UK re Hellman's Mayo.......perhaps I need therapy!? :shock:

x

I'm getting braver by the minute! I even rang UniLever's head office in the UK re Hellman's Mayo.......perhaps I need therapy!? :shock:

x

No, you sound very sane and a bit brave re the cafe. You're just taking a peaceful and legal stand against something you really disagree with and trying to raise awareness. :D:D:D:D

I wish they had to put a photo of a battery hen on the outside of every box of battery eggs - a bit like cigarette warning notices.

Thank you all

It is so good to see nice people doing nice things. It is way to easy to be dragged down in life by all the horible things or the many everyday worries.I even gave up reading the newspapers long ago way to depressing or rubbish.

Being veggie with 4 kids I also know what its like to spend most of the time saying" sorry I can't eat that " every time I go out somewhere or take the kids to a party.

But its so nice to see there are still good people out there.

:P