Tara.F

Naughty teenaged chickens

Our chickens are rebelling.

They will not eat pellets. We've left them in their run for the suggested five days FOUR TIMES and each time they get thin and sad with floppy combs but they still won't eat 'em.

now they won't go to bed.

It's gone one am and they're still up. We've tried luring them in with treats, the shiney torch trick etc but to no avail.

Every night they stay up later. They are both still laying (which is just as well or David would have put them in the pot by now)

You could try mashing the pellets with water to form a kind of "porridge." I gave in an moved back to layers mash as they wouldn't touch pellets unless mashed up and it dries hard making it difficult to eat.

Have you checked for mites on the roosting bars (try sticky in the clinic section) that would stop them wanting to roost?

Could you lift them in? Maybe if they're safe in the run they would be OK? :?

Our girls stopped eating the pellets too, even in "porridge" form.

We switched to layers meal and immediately saw the difference - we're now on our second bag and the girls scoff this down - luckily they get to freerange too so they won't be getting fat!! :roll:

Like Chocchick says, not wanting to go in at night may well be a sign of redmite or other infestation, or maybe they're just still hungry if they've boycotted the pellets?! :?

Good luck

Sue Budgie

Our girls stopped eating the pellets too, even in "porridge" form.

We switched to layers meal and immediately saw the difference - we're now on our second bag and the girls scoff this down - luckily they get to freerange too so they won't be getting fat!! :roll:

Like Chocchick says, not wanting to go in at night may well be a sign of redmite or other infestation, or maybe they're just still hungry if they've boycotted the pellets?! :?

Good luck

Sue Budgie

What's layers meal? (is that the mash stuff?) :)

I too had this problem and had resorted to feeding pellets mixed with olive oil as it was the only way they would eat it :oops:

My friend at work told me to get mash and serve mixed up with water which they adored but now they just have mash in the grub and it is the first thing they run to in the morning - It is quite amusing as Hilda has no table manners at all and always manages to cover her entire head in the process!

Good luck :)