smiffy

how many chooks?

We just ordered our Eglu and eagerly await its arrival. However we've ordered two chickens but now we're wondering if we should change the order to three.

We are a family of four. We all like eggs and often bake things with eggs in. Our neighbours like eggs too and we predict that we'll become the house you go to when you run out of eggs.

Should we stay with the two and buy in extra eggs when the neighbours have left us short? Or should we increase the order to three and have eggs coming out of our ears? Is the Eglu really big enough for three chickens?

Any advice based on experience would be most gratefully received.

Thanks

Smiffy

Really, it's a pain to introduce them later,do it now....I promise you will not regret it :P

3 is a lovely amount for an Eglu,& I believes (though I may be mistaken) that Omlet have several variaties in stock now,so you could have 3 different ones.

The Eglu as it stands with no extenders can easily house 3 ....I had 6 sleeping in one Eglu once,although they were in a big seperate run :D

Go for it,Smiffy :lol:

hi, congratulations on your eglu. Ive had my green eglu for just over a week and its fab - really easy to keep clean. We have 2 chickens and I would love to have more - it would easily sleep 3, looking in it when the chickens are going to bed you could keep more than 3 - it looks quite snug and the girls usually cuddle up together anyway.

i've had my girls just over two weeks, they snuggle up very happily in the eglu. i think the run is a bit small if they are to be in ther all the time, but i let them out when i get home from work.

a bit surprised at just how much poo they create so need cleaning more than i anticipated but its easy to do.

now have my eye on some bantams................ :wink:

Hi

Go for 3 definately! Wish I'd have gone for 3 when I ordered originally. Why? Well I think that my 2 are fab by themselves, they get on really well together but 3 would have been more of a flock and introduced at the same time would have also settled in well together right from the start. Although no experience (yet!) of adding additional chooks, I agree with cinnamon that introducing later potentially a bit more of a pain.

Didn't go with 3 though at that early stage (OH suggested we see how it went) but now due to get 2 more at the end of October rather than just another 1. This based on the general forum advice that it's easier to introduce 2 to the established chooks rather than just one. And who am I to argue with such sound advice :) I know mateys on the forum know best :) Also OH, from being a bit negative when the idea of chooks was first mentioned has also loved them hanging around in our garden so actually suggested getting two more rather than 1.

So getting prepared to introduce the new chooks but not really looking forward to the intoductions so to reiterate - do go for 3 while you can so they can settle in together at the start. Makes sense to me

Best wishes

E

Regards the eggs. My 2 have laid like hooligan throughout the summer, especially Cleo, the gingernut , so have had enough eggs to supply us (admitadly I don't bake and generally only have eggs at weekends), our neighbours and some colleauges where I work. But as our neighbours will be looking after the girls when we go on holiday during Ocotber, did feel it necessary to keep up the egg supply to them :)

Still order 3, sounds as if you get through a fair amount of eggs anyway. If you have eggs coming out of you ears, don't think a problem, always someone to give them away to or maybe even sell some.

E

Hi Smiffy. We have two girls, and right from the start, I've wished we had three!! I think it makes sense in several ways - if any of your girls becomes unwell and separating them is necessary, there are two little pals left behind until you can re-integrate the poorly one.

When one is laying an egg (as they get a bit older!) there are still two together (which might make for slightly less noise/anxiety that ours seem prone to).

My personal opinion would be that if they were to be kept permanently in the run, an extension might be a good idea so that there is a bit of room for three of them to move around a bit, but if you intend to free-range them each day as well, I'd stick to the standard run.

Someone once pointed out on here that whilst two is a pair, three is a little flock!! :lol:8)

Sue Budgie

I've got 3 and they fit perfectly in my green eglu. At night they snuggle up together in the back corner behing the nest box so there is masses of spare space.

I have 3 completely different characters and they are such fun to watch.

Although the eglu is easy to clean I would agree with the earlier post - I had not expected so much poo!!!!!! (But I still love 'em and the eggs will be worth it when they arrive!)

My three girls arrived yesterday and i had a long chat with William at Omlet before i ordered them. He was sure that it was big enough for three without the run extension if i let them out for about an hour during the day. (I will probably give them lots more, but i wanted to think of the least they'd get.)

The girls have loads of room to sleep and seem quite content penned in during their settling in period. A lot of sites said get three because if anything happens to one you still have a pair of happy social chicks. And so many eggs.... 6 in their first two days. :D

Well done Smiffy!!!!!!

I had the same dilema. Jan at Omlet was very patient with me, blue eglu or green or purple???? 2 or 3 chickens??? 2 or 3 chickens????

Went for 3 and a blue eglu, really pleased i did.

:D

I would agree with the posts on here about 3 in a run full time, but when i'm home they are out all day. Feel mean when they aren't allowed out of the run for 2 days every now and then!

Enjoy your girls!

Christian x x x