AJuff

A few duck questions

After receiving the Home Farmer magazine for my birthday I read an article about keeping ducks!! :D I've never really thought about it before but now I have!

I have a spare eglu and a kids plastic water tray and a regular supply of clean water. If I were to keep them are they likely to fly away? I have very curious hens who constantly seek freedom around and about and I just wondered whether duck would do the same?

Also how many would fit comfortably in an eglu, are duck very social? Male and female together, two girls together?

If you get them used to being fed then they would probably stay.

We had two Campbell ducks in an Eglu - you could perhaps use it for three.

You can keep a male/female pair or just females if you like the eggs? Goonergirl keeps boys and hasn't had problems and I think there is someone else who alo keeps just boys.

I had a pair of Khaki Campbells in an eglu......had to herd them into the run every night though as they followed the chooks to their run. That wouldn't have been a problem but they made such a mess of the chooks drinkers and feeders. I had a kid's solid paddling pool which I emptied and filled every couple of days.......they loved that, and sat in it empty while I fired the hose at them and filled it up :lol:

I loved those ducks.....loads of character but Mac the boy started attacking me as I walked about the garden (protecting Mima I presume) so they had to go. Duck bites to the ankles are not pleasant :(

ducklingpics009.jpg

randomchickensnducks006.jpg

We have Miniature Silver Appleyards - a duck and drake - living in an eglu/ducklu with a standard run. There's probably room for another one in the run (it would be a duck if we got one).

I think when we first got them we kept them in the run for a couple of days so that they knew where their home was, but we've also kept their wings clipped to be on the safe side. Mind you, it doesn't stop them wandering off into the field next door and spending the day hiding in the long grass. :roll:

If you have them from a young age they will have no reason to fly away as everything they are after will be there to offer them.

You could also consider heavier breeds or runner ducks. Runners are lovely and cannot fly.

Ducks are very friendly but if you want them super tame you will need to get them from a young age to get them used to being handled, etc.

Ducks are more 'skittish' than chickens but make lovely pets and keep you amused for hours watching their antics!!!

They have pens of ducks and geese at the farm, every so often a duck would fly off and come back a few days later, sometimes a week or so! They were raised from ducklings and handled from literally minutes old.

If I were you I'd keep their wings clipped just to be on the safe side.

The heavy duck breeds shouldnt be capapble of taking off ie khakis aylesburys runners etc the prettier ornamental ducks are capable of going up into trees to roost ie call ducks etc

indie :)

Hi, I have two runner ducks in an eglu. We took out the roosting bars and put wood shavings in and they love it. We have to keep the wood shavings quite well stocked or they will lay in the middle of the run (ducks are notorious for doing that if you don't shut them up at night) and the shells are quite porous so if they lay in water chuck it away to be on the safe side.

Runners are great! Mine have a shallow tubtrug for the winter and a small solid kids sandpit for the summer. I change the water every couple of days.

They share the feeders for the chickens, and the water, which needs changing each day as they are messy but I have 3 drinkers so it doesnt get too bad. They share a WIR with the chickens, love to free range in the garden and can be very destructive, will eat any frogs or toads but also loads of slugs, and we had much less crane flies last September as they and the chooks ate the larvae (leatherjackets) out of the lawn through the summer - holes in the lawn a small price to pay!! :)!eggcream!

I have had ducks previously and am new to keeping chickens now. Ducks were more of a tie and I have been surprised how easy chickens are in comparison.

I think ducks look so cute and nice but they dont put themselves in at night do need water (in winter no fun) messy etc. Mine were lucky and could free range all day..mostly they only came back in teh evening but if i was late they stayed out on the pond (which was a worry)

I would love them again but only when I retire...sorry to be negative chickens are so easy

indie :)