red

Little Red's Hens!!!!! Yes - I'm back!

It's okay folks I'm still alive! :D:D

Sorry I haven't been chatting recently - I thought my stories about my empty eglu were getting a bit tiresome - actually that's a lie - I was finding it too painful to access the forum and see all those messages from people who actually had chickens living in theirs :(

I've also been very busy (work and social)

BUT THERE'S GREAT NEWS!!!

I am now the proud owner of an eglu .... WITH CHICKENS!!!!!

:D:):D:):D:):D:)

I only collected them today so I'm full of renewed eggcitiment. I'll not tell you what they are yet ... I'll keep a little suspense!

Great to be back - hope you'll all still be my friends even tho' I'm fickle!

:shock::shock::shock:

:D:D:D

That's great news, Red! We wondered if other things had taken over, and hoped that you would get your chickens when the time was right.

Now, of course, we just want all the details about them.

When, where, how, and names, how they are settling, and are you besotted?

Good to see you back 8)

Sorry if I'm slow to respond but I seem to be spendinga lot of time in the garden staring at two chickens!! :wink:

After much deliberating (well an awful lot actually as you know!) I plumped for two cream legbars. I had decided on amber stars but couldn't get hold of any locally and so I decided that I'd go for the legbars. They were always my first choice but I was worried they'd be a bit flighty and not as friendly. As it turns out they seem fine - so far - I'm sure things will change once they're allowed out the run and then I'll be spending my evenings chasing them round the garden :lol:

They are only 12 weeks old so it's going to be a while yet before I get eggs - but having waited 4 months to get the chickens I reckon I have the patience :D In the meantime I'm spending lots of time with them so they get them used to me. They're being very quiet and the cats seem okay with them so all is well. They are being very well behaved. They took themselves off to bed yesterday at about 9pm. Waited quietly to be let out at 6am this morning. They're using their peanut feeders without any difficulties and generally being very good little birds.

Haven't made a final decision on the names yet - will keep you posted on that one.

Well done Red and welcome back I have a cream legbar and they are lovely birds the eggs are worth waiting for the yolks are always richer and very large you only get a small amount of white great for soft boiling and dipping toast soldiers into.................. :lol::lol:

Good luck with the new birds and keep in touch on the forum........... :D

You will see from my updated signature that I have chosen names: -

Announcing .... MAVIS and EDNA (a la Willow the Whisp for those that remember!)

(I might change my mind before the day's out but so far these are the names that fit).

Just a lttle update whilst Mavis and Edna are power napping - they've been remarkably good - in fact I'm slightly suspicious. I think they may be planning something :shock::lol:

Today has been Getting To Know You time. They have been a little warey all day but within seconds of the sweetcorn coming out this afternoon we were all the best of friends :lol::lol:

Now, I know everyone has always gone on about how much chickens love their sweetcorn but really I don't think I was quite prepared for that level of enthusiasm!! I guess it's the heat but they have generally been very calm today and have done lots of lying down - so the energetic display eating their treats was quite a suprise!

They have very tufty heads - will that stay or is it just because they're so young? Also, do their combs and wattles grow as they get older?

I'll post piccies as soon as my system administrator gets off his sun lounger!

Just a lttle update whilst Mavis and Edna are power napping - they've been remarkably good - in fact I'm slightly suspicious. I think they may be planning something :shock::lol:

Today has been Getting To Know You time. They have been a little warey all day but within seconds of the sweetcorn coming out this afternoon we were all the best of friends :lol::lol:

Now, I know everyone has always gone on about how much chickens love their sweetcorn but really I don't think I was quite prepared for that level of enthusiasm!!

I have also found, to my cost (and BLOOD!!!) that our four are rather keen on grapes. Our dogs love them as well, so we thought we'd have a grape fest. Turned out to be a scene from night of the body (well finger tip) snatchers!! :shock:

The other thing to watch is holding a nice bunch of weeds for them to peck at. Sybil (snail exterminator supreme - shells can't defeat her) thinks my dainty little fingers look like fat juicy slugs in amongst the weeds. Pollo on the other hand is a real lady and daintily pecks the weeds at the end of the bunch leaving my fingers well alone.