tara

chicken likes dog poo

We have 3 chickens ruby, marmalaid, bluebell, They free range alot but yesterday l fed the dog and then as normal he dose his bussiness before l could get out there ruby was eating it.I had to run out quick and pick it up and today the same thing happened.I never knew chickens liked eating dog poo.It seems to be only the 1 chicken but its now a race to get there before she dose.

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle) bluebell

(white chicken) ruby

PP marmalaid

Yeuk :shock:

I have no suggestions, but it doesn't sound like the nicest of habits :roll: , and one that I'd be tempted to try to discourage.

Is your dog regular in his errm... habits :wink: If there's any degree of predictability I'd keep the chickens banged up until after he's done his daily poo, then clear it away before releasing them :D

Not being a dog owner I don't know how feasible this is, although I know that my friends dog, amazingly, poos on demand. She always goes, like clockwork on her twice daily walks. She wouldn't dare poo in the garden or at an unscheduled time.... the man of the house is very strict about things like that :shock:

But maybe they are the completely unrealistic exception to the rule, simply because my friends have no children and a rigid doggy led routine.... and they are very strict.

Good luck with it though.... doesn't sound easy if they've acquired a taste for dog poo :vom:

I used to walk my friends' dog and occasionally he would eat other dogs poo. On the way home I had to get him a treat just to get rid of his dog-poo-breath...disgusting!!!

:vom: :vom:

If you make a loud noise when your dog starts eating the poo that should put him off doing it. We use a 'dog stop' noise that interupts unwanted behaviour and it works really well. :D

I know if your own dog eats its own poo you can put pineapple in its food and its supposed to stop them reingesting their waste matter!! 8)

Worse still is the dog who eats cat poo just before bounding up the stairs to wish you good morning!!!

YUKKKKKKKK :(:(:(

We weren't 100% sure Flint was trustworthy with our girls and then one day we looked round to see him inside their fence surrounded by totally unconcerned hens whils all he was interested in was.... yes chicken poo ...definitely a wash your mouth out with soap moment :roll::roll:

We once caught our chooks eating a dog poo, when next doors mutt broke in to ours.

Didn;t seem to do them any harm, but I always made sure I did a quick poo check before I let them out after that.

We have 3 chickens ruby, marmalaid, bluebell, They free range alot but yesterday l fed the dog and then as normal he dose his bussiness before l could get out there ruby was eating it.I had to run out quick and pick it up and today the same thing happened.I never knew chickens liked eating dog poo.It seems to be only the 1 chicken but its now a race to get there before she dose.

What yummy eggs you must have! :vom:

I must add - after the poo-eating incident, we treated them all for worms and parasites - while I'm pretty sure the chooks couldn;t pick up anything from the poo, I felt it was best to be safe, rather than sorry!