Popcorn

Bedbugs

I love lavender too Anna, I used to buy the lavender ironing water as well, but I've just this weekend tried making my own. Not sure how it's going to turn out, but I thought it was worth experimenting because I love freshly ironed, lavender scented bedlinen. And the lavender fragrance somehow makes ironing a little less of a chore :)

One of my photos (garden album) shows the little lavender wands I've been making with the lavender. I forgot to mention it at the time.

Does anyone know:-

1. the strength of most diluted Tea Tree Oils as we usually purchase them?

2. where to get stronger versions?

Strong tea tree oil can be used for killing Red Mites.

From DEFRA - any use?

CURRENT ‘BEST PRACTICE’ STRATEGY FOR RED MITE CONTROL

§ Once the house is depleted and all manure has been removed, thorough

cleaning using a power washer or steam-cleaner must be carried out. As many

of the internal fittings as possible should be removed to facilitate good cleaning.

§ Consideration should be given to cleaning the outside of the houses as it is

known that red mite are naturally found in birds’ nests in the UK and will

migrate in search of a host when the poultry house is empty.

§ Ensure any obvious refuges are removed or sealed (especially in the areas

around the nesting boxes and feeders).

§ When the house is dry, it should be sprayed with an approved acaricide, using

a flat-fan spray for walls and floors, and a crack-and-crevice tool for application

to small harborages. Product use should be on a cyclical basis to reduce the

risk of development of resistance.

§ Birds should be bought from breeder flocks that can be shown to be free from

red mite and care should be taken to ensure transport and staff are not carrying

the parasites in small numbers from recent exposure at other sites.

§ Records of routine weekly monitoring of all houses should be kept in order to

trigger spot treatments where necessary in areas where mites are found, or

rotational treatment with alternative products. Treatment details must also be

recorded at all times to monitor use and prevent extensive, prolonged use of

any one product.

SOME CURRENTLY AVAILABLE PRODUCTS SPECIFIC TO RED MITE

(From “Pesticides 2001� – Pesticides approved under the Control of Pesticides

Regulations 1986)

§ Synthetic pyrethroid (cypermethrin)

§ Pyrethroid (alphacypermethrin)

§ Permethrin and Piperonyl Butoxide

§ Silica-based products

§ Citrus extracts

Thanks for that Kate, I have checked the Eglu again and I can see some dead Red Mite in the litter tray so the louse powder I used and the Jeyes fluid must have done the job I will let you know how I get on with the Diatom when it arrives, it sounds like it works on all nasty bugs including worms so I will add a small amount to the food and sprinkle some on the run floor the small tub should last me for ages ............... :D

Hi Anna, sorry meant to respond with my "recipe" for ironing water yesterday, but forgot at the time, and now I've remembered I couldn't recall where the postings were :oops::oops: . Now I'm a whole year older the brain cells are atrophying at a scary rate :shock:

Anyway I'm only experimenting with this, don't know if I got the amounts right, but it smells OK today.

All I did was pick some lavender, leaves, stalks & flowers, the whole caboodle, and break them up a bit, then I chucked them into a large jar and poured on some boiling water. I then left it overnight, and then strained it through a muslin lined funnel into a bottle (or 2). I think I must have made about 2 litres, probably a bit less, but not sure if it's going to be smelly enough yet. Will let you know a better idea about amounts when I've finished experimenting. But, since the next stage of the experiment involves getting the ironing board out please don't expect any more info until the weekend (at the earliest, no school uniforms to iron this sunday, hooray :D:D:D )

Just in case they are bugs (but also useful for red mites in coops) you can get a totally natural product called 'Diatomaceous Earth', which is completely non-toxic. I understand that there are different types, which are used for different problems (bugs), but if you do a Google search there are planty of websites with information (www.d-earth.co.uk). I have used it to get rid of fleas in carpets when one of my cats became infested.

Good luck

Clare Taylor

well, just to let you know, (incase you were having sleepless nights wondering :wink: ) we've tried everything to get rid of the scratchy feelings in the bed, and have decided that the matress has seen better days, rather then it being a bug.

Just ordered a new orthopaedic one in the sale, so am very :D about that!