Budgies

Two or three chooks in a regular Omlet run?

Some of you will have read that we very sadly had to have both our little ladies put to sleep last week, both suffering with different problems.

I'm still reeling in all honesty, but cannot imagine my garden without chickens any more!

We've been advised by our vet to follow DEFRA guidelines and to assume that maybe one of them had an infectious illness (she suspected infectious bronchitis caught from a wild bird in one of my girls) so we have to disinfect everything and not get more chickens for a month.

In many ways it gives us a good chance to prepare ourselves for our second lot of girls.

We only had two in the regular Omlet run and they were always great friends and got on famously. I'd love three (if one gets sick there are still two to keep each other company) but am wondering if pecking and bullying is more likely with three.

Can you tell me your experiences please to help me decide what to do next?

Many thanks in advance

Budgie xx

We have 3 in (red eglu) but we were advised to give them an extension as we were going to keep them in there all the time - that didn't last long and they're freeranging and eating my veg beds every day now :lol: I just follow them round every two minutes with a shovel so my two daughters don't step in anything I wish they hadn't!!!

Wow, thanks you lovely lot!!

I think we're being swayed by the prospect of three, but probably with the converter.

I always let them out to free range for some period of time each day whenever I could (which was most days) but realistically in the winter that's not so much fun for them or me!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's all very helpful.