Hellcat

Advice please ...

What-ho troops. Been a long time, life gets in the way and all that. Hoe everyone is well.

To business...

I've had chickens for over 4 years now and the current flock varies in age from 4 to 18 months. About 10 days ago I had one get very lethargic, losing weight etc and she died overnight one night. Bless her, she had been badly attacked by the others when she was young and only just survived that, so I put it down to her maybe being weaker than the others.

Now, I have another one exhibiting the same symptoms - she is hunched over, lethargic, comb beginning to get pale. She looks (this evening) to have a full crop, but is lifting her head as if making swallowing motions.

They are all regularly wormed with flubenvet. I rescued some from a neighbour last year and they came with lice and scaly leg mite, so they have all been treated for that too (poorly girl is one of the rescued ones).

I'm reluctant to take her to the vet as the last time I did the vet looked at me like I was mental (I live in a rural area where chickens are 10 for a tenner ...)

I wonder if anyone has had similar problems of two chickens being poorly within days of each other. Does flubenvet deal with gapeworm too? I don't know what to do.

I am not knowledgable enough to help with the illness however Flubenvet does deal with gapeworm but you have to double the dose and also you can't eat the eggs while they are being treated with a double dose

Good luck, I am sorry you are having a hard time :(

Nah, she isnt 4, she's an unknown age adopted from the neighbours who moved to France (lucky them!)

Her crop seems full, but when you feel it, its llike a balloon filled with water. I wonder if theres a cyst in there. Today she is looking a bit more perky and her comb has pinked up a bit, but she is still making the funny upwards head jerk every so often.

She's not wheezing. She did take some strawberry from my hand earlier and actually ate it before the other velociraptors got to it - that is an improvement.

Sounds like sour crop to me then.

Please do a search for sour crop.

I have posted lots of info.

Having very recently lost 2 girls, one had 2 bouts of sour crop, the 1st she recovered from, SHE DIED with it the 2nd time.

Don't want to sound harsh but 2 other people very recently had it they also lost their girls.

Please take her to the vet ASAP.

Thanks for all the advice - Lucky is now back to her normal self. I don't know if it is sour crop, but I did the turny-upside-down thingy and gave some bio yoghurt (wow!!! :D they surely love that stuff :shock: ) and she now seems to be fine.

I'll deffo get some daktarin, sounds like a plan, and can go in the chicken medicine cabinet.

Pip pip!

Many thanks again, I now remember why I used to while away so many hours on this site - must keep more of an eye on it!