Charlottechicken

Classic Sweets

My local newsagent when I was little, had a row of boxes at the front of the chocolate counter where you could pick your fill of cheap sweets. On the far left would be the half pence box, followed by the 1p, 2p etc. I always went for the Parma Violets and my love of all things in shades of purple was born!

I know you can buy these types of sweets from online Ye Olde Sweetshop type sites but I fear it would sully my memories of those delightfully fragrant tooth rotters if I had to buy (and then consume, naturally!)several pounds of them, so I am content to reminisce wistfully.

Unlike Wagon Wheels though, which are considerably smaller than yesteryear, aren't Parma Violets now a lot larger, they always used to be so small :?

There is a shop near to work that still sells most of the old fashioned sweeties! :D

Remember Dib Dabs, flumps, spangles, mojos, black jacks, spogs, sherbert, chocolate spanners and hammers, the candy sticks in boxes that looked like cigarettes (you cant get those now), miget gems, cherry lips!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I have decided to call my 4 chickens after old fashioned sweeties too! :D:D:D

There is a shop near to work that still sells most of the old fashioned sweeties! :D

Remember Dib Dabs, flumps, spangles, mojos, black jacks, spogs, sherbert, chocolate spanners and hammers, the candy sticks in boxes that looked like cigarettes (you cant get those now), miget gems, cherry lips!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I have decided to call my 4 chickens after old fashioned sweeties too! :D:D:D

Ooh, if that shop was near me they would have a lot of my custom! I love black jacks, and always had to buy the candy cigarettes as well. Never heard of flumps though, were they marshmallow? What's a spog :?

I used to like the flying saucers as well, and those foamy shrimps but not the chewy ones they make nowadays :shock:

We used to have little camp fires in the garden so we could melt marshmallows on a stick, sometimes they would melt off the stick and fall into the fire :D Tasty :D

Never heard of flumps though, were they marshmallow? What's a spog :?

I used to like the flying saucers as well, and those foamy shrimps but not the chewy ones they make nowadays :shock:

Yeah flumps are marshmallow. 8)

Spogs are the pink or blue sweet you find in a packet of Liquorice Allsorts with the little bits all over them :D

Oh i love flying saucers could eat them all day! :shock:

This is showing my age :oops: I remember buying a Cadbury bar of chocolate with an old penny! I also use to make jelly tot soup!Ahhhh, those were the days. Maybe we could remember old toys next. Anyone remember pipa dolls?

Sold all my Pippas on Ebay a couple of years ago, had to keep one back though for sentimental reasons :D

Yes, loved Jelly tots as well, yum :D

I know it's not a sweet but can you remember Quosh... It was a cordial.

Oooh and pacers they were like opal fruits but minty ..... YUM!!!

I remember both of them!

Do you also remember Cremola Foam - I LOVED that stuff - I'm sure it was probably full of baaaaad things that made it foam, but I did love it!

Cremola Foam

cremolafoam%20009.jpg

You put a couple of teaspoons of the powder in water, mixed it up and you ended up with a glass 3/4's full of yummy foam, and 1/4 full of pretty disgusting juice!

:D:D:D:D

Used to get it at my Nana's house!

I received a catalogue last week from Plumo - www.plumo.com - lots of lovely things :D:D:D

They are selling a Hope and Greenwood Bumper Box of childhood favourite sweets. Bit pricey but you seem to get a lot :D - 1.37kg :shock:

(if my computer skills were any good I would know how to insert a link :?:? but they aren't so, I'm afraid you'll have to find the picture in their gift section - sorry :(:( )

Cremola Foam

cremolafoam%20009.jpg

You put a couple of teaspoons of the powder in water, mixed it up and you ended up with a glass 3/4's full of yummy foam, and 1/4 full of pretty disgusting juice!

:D:D:D:D

Used to get it at my Nana's house!

Do you still own the tin! It might be worth a few quid!