Ness3103

Kamikaze chook!!

my speckledy, skye, has decided she's going to try and get out of the run even though it has a roof :!: we only had half the roof done yesterday when i brought them home and she tried to fly over the top of the run which is over 6ft high, she very nearly made it. my son and i spent the evening in the run trying to discourage her. we put the rest of the roof on today and she seemed to be ok but as the evening progressed she started walking round looking at the roof. then she took off and hit her head on the roof :( i regret not getting her wing clipped but i didn't think it was necessary because she would be in the wir. not sure i'm confident to do it myself and she doesn't like being picked up at the moment :( has anyone else had this problem :?: any advice would be good :)

Our little Wyandotte Banties behave in a similar way.

Last week the one took off in a gust of wind, it was like a slow motion movie, I shouted nooooooo as she sailed over me and into next doors garden, I am sure she was shouting yipeeeee!!

I then clipped her wing and she did it again, sailing up in tight circles this time (Eurofighter stylie) where the wind eventually carried her over the fence!!

Of course neighbour was out both times so I had to climb over fence with two stepladders, injuring myself rather painfully on the anti-burglar spikes on the fence. As my wife said, at least we had already decided not to have any more kids !! :roll:

Funny now but not at the time!! :lol:

i'd rather not clip her if it's not going to make much difference, hopefully a couple of bangs on the head will put her off :pray: athough the first thing she did when i let her out this morning was walk round looking at the roof :doh: it seems to be an early morning and early evening thing, the rest of the day she's fine, sunbathing and dustbathing :lol:

HI

my bluebelle is a good jumper, she did exactly the same in my semi wir, and now does seem to realise she will hit her head. When I go in with any treats she does jump up at the pot (even though I hold it up high..she can peck quite hard in her frenzy). Just think of it as one smart chicken :)

Hope it calms down, I am dithering as to clipping especially when I get round to making a netting electric enclosure(I think I am going to have to for their own safety).

But they are really smart, mine are waiting by the door as soon as I appear (escape mode)

Good luck hope she settles

indie

she seems to have settled down :) still walks round looking at the roof every now and then but hasn't attempted jumping at it :lol: sunday night she was still walking around in the dark bless her so i helped her into the (eglu lilac). last night tia and scarlet put themselves to bed at 8.00 and ebony and skye finally joined them at 9.00. skye managed to find her way to bed without any help :D