seraphine

Chicken poo and flies

This is really starting to bother me. I've been letting the girls freerange for a good while every day and as you all know, they poo *everywhere* - I scoop it up and chuck it on the back of the beds as soon as I notice it but the bluebottles are just everywhere. It really is disgusting :vom:

Does everyone get this? Is there anything I can do? I have two citronella candles burning all day, plus have sprayed the run with water/citronella oil as that too attracts lots of flies.

I use these: http://www.flitrapdirect.com/

They're not the nicest things to clean out and reuse but they do trap thousands of flies.

I have a very stupid neighbour who was ranting about the amount of flies to her husband, insisting that my girls were attracting them. When I pointed out the flitraps and her compost bins that were just filled with food scaps, I think I made my point!

Rather than putting it at the back of the beds you may be better putting it in a covered compost bin.

I have been trying the vinegar, sugar and water in a jam jar trap but only caught 3 flies. :roll::D

Oh yes, I tried the vinegar, sugar and water trick too. My OH remarked it was the worlds worst flytrap. Not one taker!

I've just been trying to keep everything as clean as possible (not always that easy when they're freeranging) and hosing down the yard every night. I've noticed that the flies adore the toxic curry poos and will linger on them for days even if I've cleaned them up as best as I can. Ugg :vom:

I have just put a similar fly trap up right next to my Eglu to see how well it keeps flies away. They contain fly pheremone which is supposed to attact and then drown them. I always poo pick and then put it in a covered compost so I am really only having to deal with flies around the Eglu.

I too poo pick in the eglu and the garden every day but have also been concerned about flies.

I bought a flitrap about 6 wks ago and it was very successful, but have to admit that when it came to emptying it and cleaning it out, I chickened out and threw the whole thing away!!

I've just purchased some Gotcha Bottle Fly Traps - these effectively are just a lid that you screw onto an empty plastic 2 pt milk bottle - when full, just unscrew and put the milk lid back on before disposing.

I'm disappointed to hear that the sugar and vinegar stuff doesn't work tho - thats what I was planning to use in my empty milk bottles with the Gotcha tops when the supplied bait runs out!

Oh dear...this thread has worried me. Two years ago, some very unpleasant new neighbours moved in next door and within a matter of days came round to complain that my garden was "full of flies because of all your animals" - I only have a dog who goes outside, and she is cleared up after etc. We have no more flies than anyone else, but if chickens attract flies, then I may have to reconsider getting them. These neighbours are very nasty and I dread to think of what they might do.

Hmmmmm....that's a problem that could stop me getting my longed for hens. :(

Don't let it stop you!

I can recomend using Hemcore as bedding in the run. It has Citronella in it, and really helps. I also use it in the nest box, and that helps the coop as well. Other Horse beddings are just as good, but Hemcore has the citronella that others (I believe but happy to be corrected) don't.

Then it is just around the garden, and that then depends how much free ranging you want them to have. Mine are only out a couple of hours most days, and then cleaning up is not too tricky, and it goes straight into the covered compost bin.

Touch wood, so far, no fly problem - although may get one of the above fly traps in the garden anyway as I hate flies!!

I wouldn't worry too much, I am not aware of any extra flies now that we have chickens. We have a battery farm about a mile away that has in past years caused enormous problems with flies in the village to the point that it was on TV. It turned out that is was so bad as they were not managing the poo and dead bodies properly. They were spreading the waste on nearby fields and not digging it in for weeks giving the flies a field day. It was fine last year as it pretty much rained all summer :( and they managed the poo properly. However, I get the impression that this year is going to be a bad one. This this is the reason that I have bought a fly trap. So I really wouldn't worry, I would go ahead and get your chickens :D

I havent poo picked once with wood chippings the only thing i put in an incinerator bin is the newspaper with droppings from the tray. A compost bin with lid sounds good can you dig and put the compost bin base into the ground at all?

Oh probably if I had to I could put the newspaper liners and poos into my dustbin in a bag(not sure if that is allowed) I think in our brown wheelie bins you can put ie rabbit pets droppings bedding ??

indie

i haven't noticed an increase in flys. i ususally poo pick a couple of times a day but forgot yesterday and did it in the evening. there weren't anymore flys than normal and the girls have fun catching and eating them. i might worry if the hot weather continues for any length of time :D

A compost bin with lid sounds good can you dig and put the compost bin base into the ground at all?

indie

Not sure...

If you sunk it into the ground it would make accessing the contents of your bin difficult. They normally have a door at the bottom to access the oldest compost, and I often take the whole front off to empty it and turn it over - so again, if it was sunk that could be tricky.

I've made my own chicken "flag" for my WIR

Get an old duster and hang from the rafters of the run and then get a garden spray bottle: fill with water and add a few drops of citronella oil, lavender oil & eucalyptus oil and shake. Several times a week spray the duster with the solution and spray around the run, the "flag" will waft in the wind and create a lovely aroma :D

If you dont have a WIR you could dot a couple of drops of citronella oil onto some kitchen roll and place under the omlet shade and in the poo tray.

Works a treat! :wink:

Yhis problem seems to go on forever...

I had a huge fly prblem BEFORE the chickens, to the point where you can't eat in the garden. It is 167 ft long and any compost is furthest end.

I have dogs and poo is picked up as it comes out so I wondered if they were drinking the urine?

all too vile!

I had 3 fly traps last year, and strarted again real early. but it is bad.

I don't think what ever it is is the animals thet are in my greenhouse and ovr the veggoes and on the flowers. Is it water butt watering I am wondering.

has me close to tears, look over the fences & there is nothing trher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hate them hate tem hate them.

I even mop any wet poohs off the grass.

And hosing down whole garden oh and spraYING WITH LEMON OIL, ALASO LAVENDER.

NOTHING SEEMS TO STOP THEM :(:twisted:

Don't despair :) . I've never noticed a single fly round my chickens. I poo pick every day (or otherwise it can pong a little) but even when they were in the eglu run and I didn't poo pick at all, I never had flies.

I would go for it :) . If you do get flies there are lots of things you can do about it :) .

Do you mean that your garden is the only one to have a fly problem?

We suffered so badly with flies and took a while before we discovered that the entire village was suffering as badly. I know how it feels as it left me close to tears. Our problem was so bad that it made news. We swatted over 100 flies in our bedroom one evening. We got the environmental health people out and they found the source (battery farm). I know another village that had the same problem, it was a local pig farm. After having suffered horribly for 3 years, it was cured almost overnight. I do have concerns about this year though as there are a few around now. It might be worth contacting someone if it is driving you up the wall.

Poor you, I absolutely know how awful it is :(

All the gardens around me seem to have a lot of flies - I can only put it down to the fact that a number of them, including the two on either side of me are just not looked after and have run to seed. My nasty neighbours have only just this weekend cleared out the jungle of weeds that they have been cultivating for the past two years - they had to get hired help to do it as they don't like getting their hands dirty. :shameonu:

I too have a compost heap AND a water butt. I've noticed that we have quite a few mosquitos near the water butt which is a real pain. Plus, we are organic gardners and have a vegetable plot, as do some other neighbours a few doors down. Perhaps being organic is what's attracting all the flies? I certainly know that my dog is not responsible because, even before we got her three years ago, all the gardens had problems with flies.

Mind you, this is East London...not the cleanest place on the planet lol. :vom: