missuscluck Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 Has anyone had any offers of land at all on Landshare. A lovley lady e mailed me and we had a chat on the phone about an acre of land she has got at the back of her house which she would like to put to a productive use. Unfortunatly she is a half hour drive from my house so I did say straght away that I had reservations about the distance. We went out to see her today and take a look. Its probably not the best land for growing as she told us it can get waterlogged and the soil is very heavy clay. She currently has 3 sheep on it just to keep the grass down a bit, which are fighting a losing battle. Her idea was to use it for lambs and pigs for meat. She is happy to help out with some feeding but has no experiance of keeping animals for meat and would find it too much for her to do on her own. Was she closer to our house I feel this would be a match made in heaven but I am seriously worried about the traveling distance. If we used it for animals it would mean a visit at least once a day if she checked on them during the day too. As much as I hate to see it go to waste I feel I am going to have to say no. Such a shame I said if I didnt take it I was sure someone else would and she said she has tryed on many occasions to put it to use. People say they will use it then let her down and dont turn up. Do any of you put in some miles to travel to allotments? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 what a shame, it is too far, an hours round trip would just be too much for you. Hope you find something else closer. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
xChicken04x Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 What a shame, but if you've had one offer, then I'm sure there will be more. If she is anywhere near the Wirral, then tell her to drop me a line . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 I had a landshare offer too, however turned it down for the same reason - it wasn't as far away as yours but was over the other side of town and crossing through 2 different traffic hotspots every time - something which would make going to it more of a chore. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 is she anywhere near us? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 5, 2009 Author Share Posted June 5, 2009 Sorry guys, she is outside of Sandbach going towards Stoke on Trent. Its down a fair few windy lanes. This is why she is having trouble as the whole area is rural hence no one in close proximity needing her land as they all have enough of their own. She has checked out the other 'land wanted' near to her and feels it wont suit someone who wants to grow a few rows of vegis due to the soil type. It really could do with livestock on it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 Can I ask what 'Landshare' is please? Is there a google group, or website? *sorry to hyjack the thread Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 if you want land or have land to offer then you register your details here http://landshare.channel4.com/ stick your postcode in and see what comes up in your area. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 if you want land or have land to offer then you register your details here http://landshare.channel4.com/ stick your postcode in and see what comes up in your area. Thanks Poet! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sunshine Posted June 5, 2009 Share Posted June 5, 2009 I've just had a nosey at the Landshare site out of interest and there is a place offering land near me that breeds alpacas(which i didn't even know existed). So i bet you can't guess what i've been doing for the last 20minutes(yes..looking at all the cute, but expensive alpacas for sale! ) Emma Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bellekatz Posted June 6, 2009 Share Posted June 6, 2009 Looking at the Landshare site there are 10 times more people looking for Land han there is available i the Manchester area So I just came up with a brilliant idea. My f- in -l is 83 ,lives about 30 mins drive away and has a large garden.he was a farmer in Sicily so i thought we may ask him if we can use part of his garden to grow veggies? He has grown garlic, strawberies and spinach in the past but is a bit old now for all that stuff. So I thought we could do the heavy stuff, build raised beds get hm a divii fence wit his neighb ors which he dosnt have at present and share our produce, if he does the day to day pottering about. What do you guys think? I really hope he agrees - may be a bit late to grow stuff this year but we could make a start on the raised bed and the fence. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 6, 2009 Share Posted June 6, 2009 Thats a great idea, lots of garden centres have ready grown plants at the moment and its not too late for some things Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 6, 2009 Share Posted June 6, 2009 hugh said you could still plant peas for a crop in august and there's lots of other seed packets that say you can plant now, have a mooch. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted June 6, 2009 Share Posted June 6, 2009 My f- in -l is 83 ,lives about 30 mins drive away and has a large garden.he was a farmer in Sicily so i thought we may ask him if we can use part of his garden to grow veggies? He has grown garlic, strawberies and spinach in the past but is a bit old now for all that stuff. So I thought we could do the heavy stuff, build raised beds get hm a divii fence wit his neighb ors which he dosnt have at present and share our produce, if he does the day to day pottering about. What do you guys think? I really hope he agrees - may be a bit late to grow stuff this year but we could make a start on the raised bed and the fence. I think it's wonderful idea, it would mean he'd have company too for a few hours or more each week....a win/win situation all round in my opinion Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 6, 2009 Author Share Posted June 6, 2009 Great idea. That could work out nicley all round. Rang the nice lady up today to decline her offer We had a chat about it and I told her is added up to over 100 miles a week and she could see fully that it wouldnt work out for me. I hope she finds someone nearer. It could go partly for vegis which would not need a daily visit. I think she was hoping for animals though for which it was really suited. Such a shame and Im sad it wont work out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 That is a shame Lynda, but hopefully somewhere else will crop up I had a look for my local area and of course there are more people wanting land, than land offered Lots of people want to keep chickens though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 7, 2009 Author Share Posted June 7, 2009 There is a lot more people wanting than are offering. I think my experiance might give a glimmer of hope on that front though. The lady who offered land to me has NOT put a post on the site offering her land. She picked me out because she thought what I was asking might suit her needs for her land she has spare. I think perhaps people with something to offer might be contacting folk they like the sound of rather than putting a post that says 'hey, I have land!' as they will get a a stream of folks comming forward. I think I may have an offer of some land up the road. Its not very big and currently is planted up so we would have to wait till next season. There is enough growing room for us plus some space to do a few more chookies. Fingers crossed if he dosent change his mind we might be a go for next season Good luck to anyone wanting. I hope you find a match. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
blackgold Posted June 7, 2009 Share Posted June 7, 2009 Has anyone had any offers of land at all on Landshare. A lovley lady e mailed me and we had a chat on the phone about an acre of land she has got at the back of her house which she would like to put to a productive use. Unfortunatly she is a half hour drive from my house so I did say straght away that I had reservations about the distance. We went out to see her today and take a look. Its probably not the best land for growing as she told us it can get waterlogged and the soil is very heavy clay. She currently has 3 sheep on it just to keep the grass down a bit, which are fighting a losing battle. Her idea was to use it for lambs and pigs for meat. She is happy to help out with some feeding but has no experiance of keeping animals for meat and would find it too much for her to do on her own. Was she closer to our house I feel this would be a match made in heaven but I am seriously worried about the traveling distance. If we used it for animals it would mean a visit at least once a day if she checked on them during the day too. As much as I hate to see it go to waste I feel I am going to have to say no. Such a shame I said if I didnt take it I was sure someone else would and she said she has tryed on many occasions to put it to use. People say they will use it then let her down and dont turn up. Do any of you put in some miles to travel to allotments? We are in Cheadle Hulme. could we have the details, we would love to rent her land and sheep to work our dogs on love Suexxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 7, 2009 Author Share Posted June 7, 2009 Have PM'd you Sue Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...