gooner.girl

Football Chat

I have to say that WHL is much better that Highbury!

WHAT???!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil: Thats you off my christmas card list Martin (for next year! :wink: ) How can you say such a thing???????????

Highbury might be a bit run down but its got history. Personality. Charm. Atmosphere.

Tottenham is just a boring nondescript stadium.

Maybe you have to be a gooner to realise how special it is...

OH is 'Bowton' born and bred Phil (Farnworth actually) - afraid I'm a Manchester girl (Man U if any!). I'm not old enough to remember the Pink 8) but OH does, and says do you remember who used to own the post office opposite the ground??? :lol::lol:

cheeky monkey!! the papershop/post office was run by Bolton goalie Stan Hanson in the 50s..

I'm only young - I was born in 1964!

this was discussed recently on another Forum that I belong to - is your hubby on there - TW Forum? If so - who is he? (I'm thebish!)

if he hasn't seen it - there's some footage of Stan in action here:

(FA Cup 1954 vs. Headington United)

see the snow!! Them were the days when you were allowed to tackle - pretty-boy "Ooops, word censored!"nal would not have liked it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pldp3vIhHME

Phil :wink:

:lol::lol: Sorry Phil - he's a bit older than you then! And yes, he remembers Stan in the shop! But he's not on any forums - he's a total technophobe. Will show him the link, thanks! :lol: (and I agree - born in 1964 is definitely 'only young' - 'cos that's when I was born! :wink: )

:lol::lol: Sorry Phil - he's a bit older than you then! And yes, he remembers Stan in the shop! But he's not on any forums - he's a total technophobe. Will show him the link, thanks! :lol: (and I agree - born in 1964 is definitely 'only young' - 'cos that's when I was born! :wink: )

1964 was a vintage year!!

I was too young to have seen Stan Hanson - but he was a legend! Played in goal for Bolton for 20 years..

but as replaced by the even more legendary Eddie Hopkinson - awesome short-"Ooops, word censored!" goalie - some say the finest goalie the Wanderers have ever seen - though (your OH will remember them all!) - we've had many memorable characters since - Siddall, McDonagh, Branagan, Felgate(!), and now, Jussi (possibly the best yet - though it is impossible to judge across different eras)

legend have it that Hanson was a fat lad... can your OH verify the truth or otherwise of this description?? (I like to see the fat lads doing well!) We've had many a fat lad at Bolton!

Phil

1964 was a vintage year!!

I was too young to have seen Stan Hanson - but he was a legend! Played in goal for Bolton for 20 years..

but as replaced by the even more legendary Eddie Hopkinson - awesome short-**** goalie - some say the finest goalie the Wanderers have ever seen - though (your OH will remember them all!) - we've had many memorable characters since - Siddall, McDonagh, Branagan, Felgate(!), and now, Jussi (possibly the best yet - though it is impossible to judge across different eras)

legend have it that Hanson was a fat lad... can your OH verify the truth or otherwise of this description?? (I like to see the fat lads doing well!) We've had many a fat lad at Bolton!

Phil

:lol: Sorry Phil - he's not that much older than us! He remembers Stan playing when he was a very young lad, but can't remember much about him, definitely remembers Hopkinson though! :roll:

now then... :D

Where have those games in hand gone now Helen?? Sulking, Whinging and whining their way to a pretty limp capitulation at SheffU... :wink:

Chelsea won't be happy - boo-hoo-hoo - Chelsea have a defender injured - what with their miserly thin squad n'all... how will they cope??

Martin - well, what can you say?? O'Neill OUT!!! Villa on the slide...

(even Wolves lost.. :shock: )

As for the mighty whites - sitting pretty in third with a 3 point cushion over the "Ooops, word censored!"nal as we greet the new year..

Phil 8)

Yeah "Ooops, word censored!"nal were pants, no denying it. Deserved all they got. We didn't sulk, whinge and whine through it though, we just played very badly. Baptista and Rosicky were "Ooops, word censored!" in particular.

Oh well. Its not like we were going to win the title and we'll come third easily - we always have a bad few months in December and November. My brother and i are going to the next game versus Charlton so we had better improve. Bolton won't keep up the pace. I'm more worried about Liverpool then them!

"Ooops, word censored!"nal for the Champions league 8)

Remind me... Have bolton ever played in that Phil???

Remind me... Have bolton ever played in that Phil???

:D:D

No - you have me there!!! We have won the Lancashire Cup 11 times - "Ooops, word censored!"nal have never won that!!

and we have beaten "Ooops, word censored!"nal this season... 8)

Phil

Ahem......Sheffield United 1 ....... "Ooops, word censored!"nal 0. :lol:

Up the Blades!

should have been 2-0 n'all - that second Nade goal was NOT offside...

Phil

Much as it pains me to join in a football thread, I simply couldn't resist Martin :wink::oops::oops: .

We're having a dreadful season, yep, unless Pardew can cause miracles we're going down :( ........ but which team did we manage to beat fairly comprehensively yesterday :? . Oh, yes, that would've been Villa :wink:8):lol::lol::lol:

"Ooops, word censored!"nal on Tuesday :shock:

Oh, well, Annie & Helen, I do so hope that we beat you, if Sheffield United can...... well surely anyone can :shock:

Even us :?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes thats whats worrying me.... If Sheff Utd can beat us....

A friend at work is a Charlton fan and i won't dare go back if we lose.

Its my 4th match watching live this season and i'm taking my brother who has not been to "Ooops, word censored!"nals new home yet. I hope he sees his first win. The only other match he has been to, we were robbed by Jason Roberts and Wigan in the Carling Cup semi-final who equalised in the last minute, which meant we went out on away goals - then to top it all, "Ooops, word censored!"nal tube was closed and we had to walk and queue for ages to get home. If we lose tomorrow he's not coming again!

And as for Villa... :? Notice Martins keeping very quiet, perhaps he'd like to join Annie and I in the sulking corner?