Guest Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 Aldi have punnets of cherries for 49p each at the mo. I bought 4 boxes as they're really good for chickens with joint problems and our Bea has a gammy leg, plus she adores cherries, as do the rest of them. I cut them into pieces and remove the stone first. Might even have some myself at that price Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Aga n Chickens Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 Oooooh, thank you Poet. I love cherries. We have rather large Morello Cherry tree in the garden that I'm having a losing battle with at the moment as all the cherries are still green and the birds have started pinching them already. The tree is too big to put netting over, so I hope they leave me something, even it it's only enough to stuff a Black Forest Gateaux Kind regards, Christine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 I have a cherry tree too but I always let the cherries grow and the birds get them, it's my treat to them each year.. I might have to pass Aldi... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tessa the Duchess Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 I don't have an Aldi anywhere near me I saw on a telly ad that Aldi are also selling pineapples for 49p they must be imported, how can they sell them so cheaply when you consider transport plus all the other costs, amazing. Tessa Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 Far be it for me to encourage you all but in the RC preserves book it says you can make Cherry Ratafia in much the same way as Sloe Gin I love cherry jam too. I bought some in Tesco yesterday, half price & they were £2.99 still! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 punnets of plums are 49p too, I got 2, might make plum ice cream or use some for plum schnapps Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted June 12, 2009 Share Posted June 12, 2009 My local Aldi's had cherries, small melons, small pineapples, plums and peaches all 49p each. The cherries didn't last long (LMW loves cherries) the melon and the pineapple are rippening in the kitchen. The peaches were small but really tasty.I will have to go again next week ( Aldi's is just down the road from where I have my piano lesson). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Scramble Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 GAH! How did I not notice this? We just bought two punnets of cherries and two punnets of peaches in M&S...£1.50 each oh well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 5 punnets of plums, better get the jam pan out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 Cor yes, cherry jam. I made some not so long back & it cost me about £8 to make! It was nice though, just for us - not to give away. It was especially good on croissants. Mmmmmmmm Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 14, 2009 Share Posted June 14, 2009 Oooooh, thank you Poet. ... Kind regards, Christine you're welcome Christine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missuscluck Posted June 15, 2009 Share Posted June 15, 2009 We spotted the cherries straght away and have munched through 4 punnets. Aldi just happens to be on my way home I used the plums to make plum Jam. They were not very ripe so took a long time boiling to set. Its nice though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 made my plum jam today http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2755399&l=86b0a08875&id=568396756 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 Snap! I've also made plum jam. But my plums weren't Aldi ones - I got them the other week. Also mine is the colour of ribena. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 I peeled mine which I have now been told I needn't have done! Oh well Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 I still haven't made mine, but thinking Plum and Vanilla jam? What do you reckon? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 16, 2009 Share Posted June 16, 2009 I still haven't made mine, but thinking Plum and Vanilla jam? What do you reckon? sounds very nice indeed! I'd have chucked some amaretto into mine if I'd remembered! I made some vanilla and amaretto ice cream recently and it's too nice for words, just had some on a cple of waffles Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted June 17, 2009 Share Posted June 17, 2009 made my plum jam today http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2755399&l=86b0a08875&id=568396756 It looks delicious in the photo. My plum jam always goes dark and tastes like stewed prunes. What am I doing wrong? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 17, 2009 Share Posted June 17, 2009 tell us what you do DA then we can maybe help Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...