SAB

Bolting cauliflower!

My dad has planted lots of lovely cauliflower all of which have bolted - look very pretty, but no sign of any actual caulis. I recently planted some and want to avoid the same fate - any advice?

if they bolted early they might have got dry at some stage in the pots I've had this happen myself when I've forgot to open up the green house or cold frames they wilt abit recove when watered then form small heads after they've been planted out for a few weeks then 'blow'

keep them well watered and fed at all times.

I they look ready pick them don 't leave them until tomorow the best one I've grown in 3 or 4 years I left have all ready pick more than I needed by the next night had gone over chucks love it though

Mine have done that too - looks like little stars from a rocket firework. But this evening I picked some to add to - dare I say - shop bought cauli. It was fine - good for a stir fry too. On the other hand, the calabrese is looking wonderful - and not bolting. Cauli's are very fickle.

cauliflowers are very greedy feeders and need loads of water too.

It took us 8 years to grow a decent one. We have added manure to the soil and put loads of lime in the planting holes and planted them through weed matting to conserve moisture, then we have to keep them well watered after planting. We are waiting for out first one this year but the plants are all growing strongly.

When you buy plants look for young ones that are green and lush looking, if they are discoloured and tough looking they have probably taken a check and will bolt. If you grow your own sow them thinly into trays then prick out into 3 inch pots as soon as they are large enough to handle and keep moist at all times and feed the plants once a week after the first couple of weeks. Plant out in fertile soil and water regularly in the first couple of weeks, also keep them covered with mesh to keep the caterpillars out, they can really ruin a cauli.

Well all my dad's have now bolted and some of mine have too. Of 2 friends who are growing them, 1 had had all hers bolt and the other has had some of hers bolt! Mind you the weather here in Scotland has been rather hotter than we, or our gardens, are used to so perhaps that has had something to do with it. Ah well, always next year (and everything else growing great!).