susanbb Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 May all our American friends have a fab day ......especially Mark Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Never realised what date it was..... Have a great day Mark & any other American Omleteers Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 happy independence day from me and kev too what do people do? I think im going to have an american type tea with home made burgers and american wine and beer and put some cheesy american summer music on cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Happy Independence Day - now please, no aliens today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 That's a great film, might have to watch it tonight. Love Will Smith. Happy Independence Day from me too to all our American Omleteers Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Saronne Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 May all our American friends have a fab day ......especially Mark Thank you! As a Yank who has lived in the U.K. for 25 years, I actually forgot! Saronne x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Happy Independence Day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Independance day is one of my favourite days Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
feemcg Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Happy Birthday Jules I'm off to an Independence Day party where my friend's partner is doing his Neil Diamond tribute act. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redhotchick Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 Happy Independence Day Mark! (and other Americans!) I forgot what day it was but planned Cajun chicken (that's American right? ) Happy Birthday Jules! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 May all our American friends have a fab day ......especially Mark Thank you! As a Yank who has lived in the U.K. for 25 years, I actually forgot! Saronne x I'm a transplanted Yank too, Saronne, and I forgot too! I left the States 28 years ago and have got so used to my fireworks happening on a cold night in November that I can't imagine why anyone would want them in the summer! Summer night on the beach, Mark? happy 4th of July! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Saronne Posted July 4, 2009 Share Posted July 4, 2009 May all our American friends have a fab day ......especially Mark Thank you! As a Yank who has lived in the U.K. for 25 years, I actually forgot! Saronne x I'm a transplanted Yank too, Saronne, and I forgot too! I left the States 28 years ago and have got so used to my fireworks happening on a cold night in November that I can't imagine why anyone would want them in the summer! Summer night on the beach, Mark? happy 4th of July! Phew! I don't feel so bad now...I confess I also forget about Thanksgiving Day, too! My OH is a Brit and wouldn't remember these things... (What State are you from? I'm from Michigan ). Saronne x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 Thank you everybody! I actually spent my day driving 8 hours to Buffalo New York. I will be working in Canada next week and wanted to spend the night on the United States side of Niagra Falls, otherwise I would have had an 11 hour drive. I'm looking forward to seeing the falls as I've never seen them live and in person before. We had a bit of a bash Friday evening at my friend Maria's house, but the fireworks had been cancelled (Until Sunday) as we have had non-stop rain for the past weeks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 Mark you will LOVE the 'falls - i went as a kid and then later when i was a student at SUNY Albany. They are amazing and cheesey and grand and overwhelming and touristy all at the same time! Saronne, I'm a New Yorker. My OH is a Scot (who strangely has a particular dislike for USA ) and I haven't gone back much since i left in 1981 until a couple of years ago: it made me feel very disconnected so I kept missing Thanksgiving and 4th of July too (harder one to miss, granted). I knew nothing about Presidents' Day or bizarrely 'Black Friday' after Thanksgiviing as these happened after I left (Americans look at me as if i'm from another planet when i say that ). What's your accent like now? I used to sound more 'Woody Allenish' but am told that i sound either Irish or Canadian now. Do you still hold onto your midwest twang? It did and does throw me though that when I go back i'm constantly asked how British people celebrate Thanksgiving Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 A bit late from me.....but Happy Independence day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 Thank you everybody! I actually spent my day driving 8 hours to Buffalo New York. I will be working in Canada next week and wanted to spend the night on the United States side of Niagra Falls, otherwise I would have had an 11 hour drive. I'm looking forward to seeing the falls as I've never seen them live and in person before.. They are amazing - you will love them but forget the American side there is naff all there, it's all happening on the Canadian side, but in a very tacky tourist kinda way. Nothing tacky about natures wonder though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 OH yes, def the Canadian side (no offense) is much better - it's all natural, whereas the American falls had to have a controlled explosion to get it like it is today. I hope it's sunny when you see it - if you're lucky you can see 3 rainbows! But well worth the visit to Niagara on the Lake a bit further away - quaint, but has a fantastic fudge shop. Now just stay away from those barrels young man - no adding your name to the Darwin awards!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angels4 Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 OH yes, def the Canadian side (no offense) is much better - it's all natural, whereas the American falls had to have a controlled explosion to get it like it is today. I hope it's sunny when you see it - if you're lucky you can see 3 rainbows! But well worth the visit to Niagara on the Lake a bit further away - quaint, but has a fantastic fudge shop. Now just stay away from those barrels young man - no adding your name to the Darwin awards!!! Mmmmmm FUDGE. I LOVE fudge. I was looking forward to a trip in a barrel. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 I hope it's still there - I think it should be because my Canadian cuz's other half has probably bought the shop up over the years. One year we went there and we watched him sneak off and dive down his little pack munching away - he did have another "for us all", but we had already bought our own. He got teased mercilessly. I think there is a theatre somewhere near Niagara on the Lake and they go quite a lot. I was introduced to ye olde Canadian food there - a couple of them being mashed potato with gravy and gravy on chips (or rather fries for you)!!!!! Er, that's done here (but I prefer no gravy on my spuddies), so I said "I thought this was Canadian?" Anyhoo, I rather liked it there because it reminded me of home. There's also a fort nearby - the Canadians fire the cannons at a set time, and on the American side at another fort, the reply is shortly answered. Great fun. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Saronne Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 Mark you will LOVE the 'falls - i went as a kid and then later when i was a student at SUNY Albany. They are amazing and cheesey and grand and overwhelming and touristy all at the same time! Saronne, I'm a New Yorker. My OH is a Scot (who strangely has a particular dislike for USA ) and I haven't gone back much since i left in 1981 until a couple of years ago: it made me feel very disconnected so I kept missing Thanksgiving and 4th of July too (harder one to miss, granted). I knew nothing about Presidents' Day or bizarrely 'Black Friday' after Thanksgiviing as these happened after I left (Americans look at me as if i'm from another planet when i say that ). What's your accent like now? I used to sound more 'Woody Allenish' but am told that i sound either Irish or Canadian now. Do you still hold onto your midwest twang? It did and does throw me though that when I go back i'm constantly asked how British people celebrate Thanksgiving 'Black Friday?!' (what is it? ) People in the U.K. often think my accent is Canadian or Irish, too, though when I go back to the States, I am mistaken for being British.. Someone once said I sounded like a female Lloyd Grossman!? Not funny Saronne Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
laurmurf Posted July 5, 2009 Share Posted July 5, 2009 Lloyd Grossman... yes... I get that too! Apparently Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving when all the sales start (sounds just like Boxing Day, doesn't it? ) It never existed before I left and yet when i try to tell any Americans that they don't believe me. If it's been happening for a decade it's been happening since the signing of the declaration of independence I can't imagine wanting to rush to the shops the day after Thanksgiving any more than I'd want to the day after Christmas: still too full! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Saronne Posted July 6, 2009 Share Posted July 6, 2009 I agree I do miss the Thanksgiving Day Parades, though.... Saronne x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...