cathybc

Mouldy bokashi :-(

I have previously got my Bokashi from Wiggly Wigglers, which is dry and comes in a paper bag, but tried somewhere else this time. It came shrink wrapped in plastic and was slightly damp. It said it contained water and to either reseal or put into an airtight container. So I put it in a plastic tub.

It was lovely for a few weeks, the garage smelt like a brewery! But it has now gone mouldy and smells like cheese.

Please forgive me for being stupid, but am I right in saying this is wrong and that I shouldn't give it to the girls? It is just that I know it is supposed to contain micro-organisms or something....or is it OK and just being like Stilton??!!! :roll:

I was thinking the same. Usually buy from WW and keep it in its paper bag in the metal dustbin with the rest of the feed. This time I got some from ebay and emptied the first of the 1kg bags into the empty WW paper bag, after a couple of days the bag went wet and yucky so I tipped it into 2 empty icecream tubs. I hope that'll keep it fresh.

I must admit, it smells dreadful and because I mix up a week's worth of mash at a time the slightly damp bokashi is making large clumps in the mash. I will probably go back to WW next time even though it is more expensive

Jo

idea for using up mouldy bran: put it round plants you want to protect from slugs and snails. apparently they gorge on it and then swell up and die...

I've got the big bag from WW and so far it has stayed fine in my plastic shed thing - will have a look more closely in the morning.

I've got the big bag from WW and so far it has stayed fine in my plastic shed thing - will have a look more closely in the morning.

I've had the big bags from WW that have been fine for months and months after opening. The ebay stuff is rather damp and smells fermented in comparison.

Jo

Thanks for all your replies, mouldy bokashi can obviously be a problem then, I am gutted 'cos I thought I would save money by buying it in bulk.

And just to clarify - the mouldy bokashi is NOT from Wiggly Wigglers, I had tried somewhere else this time, the 1K I have had from WW previously was fine.

I will probably go back to the WW chook food with bokashi already in it.....

My most recent batch from WW was a little mouldy when I opened it. I had it for a couple of weeks and kept it in the metal fos bin I keep all the girls bits in. I think it may have got too hot and sweated in the (paper) bag. I've moved it into a shady shed now. Didn't have the same problem last year but OH has moved the bin since then.