The Dogmother

'Norty fairies did it, Mum'

Ruby has a training session this evening, so I needed to make up some bribery... sorry .... treats for her.

I got a couple of those disgusting frankfurters that she loves out of the freezer and put them in a bowl, on the back of a kitchen work surface to defrost. Out of reach of the scabbing hound - or so I thought.

At lunchtime, I went to dice them up into tiny pieces with some cheese, and they'd gone.

After frantic hunting around the kitchen, I can only assume that the thieving lurcher has had them :roll: , although she assures me that it wasn't her but the 'norty fairies' who did it.

More are now shut in the microwave, defrosting.

Lesson learned!

Obviously the same 'norty fairies' as those who steal tissues out of my pockets and eat any clothing that's left on the floor :wink::lol:

:lol: Snort!

I love you Ruby because you make me realise it is not just Maisy Lurcher who is naughty and steals the fish and chips, cat food and climbs on windowsills to catch flies!!

Hope you are a good girl at your training tonight.

being little means nothing in our house, Suze the flooze is a terrir and steals, food tissues, clothes, including bras :roll: so I understand complately Clare :lol: now if she had longer legs my work surfaces would never be safe I can assure you... mind you she's very bouncy.. :think:

my staffie chunk has a partner in crime in my three year daughter izzy. several times i have been woken in the early hour by noises coming from down stairs only to find izzy and chunk sharing a chunk of cheese or a pack of ham. :roll::lol:

my staffie chunk has a partner in crime in my three year daughter izzy. several times i have been woken in the early hour by noises coming from down stairs only to find izzy and chunk sharing a chunk of cheese or a pack of ham. :roll::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I know thats naughty but how cute is that? :lol:

:lol: I wouldn't bank on it Helen - that'll be on the next upgrade!

She has perfected the art of snuggling up to me while stealing tissues from my pocket!

Methinks I might be able to teach her to steal £50 notes :wink:

We had a great training session on Friday - in a barn with the wind and rain rattling down outside. I have been trying for ages to control a couple of her naughtier habits, but her saluki blood has always won over. Our brilliant trainer, Julie, came up with a collar, which has a remote control and puffs compressed air in her face when she isn't obeying the 'leave it!' command. I needed training in using it and she needed some help with the commands too, but it works a dream and I have it on rent from Julie. So far I have managed to make her stop scabbing food/poo while we're out, chasing the cats (chickens next) and stealing other dogs' balls. She now (mostly) obeys the command on it's own, which is the eventual aim.

She is by far the hardest to train of any dog; great fun though!

Hi Guys,

Didn't have the guts to comment on the subject of buying a Newfoundland in a nearby post. Could just imagine the reaction !!

Just need, among empathiers, to say that the last thirty years of my life have been totally blessed by the companionship of lurchers of one sort or another. (OK, we won't mention the Pekingese crufts champion's offspring who turned out to be our farms No. 1 ratter !! Genetics v. Nurture proof positive !!)

Any ideas about how we can persuade prospective owners to completely forget the idea of any pedigree animal and go for the incomparable mongrel.

Maybe the thought of saving a squillion pounds in purchase cost and vet's fees might help ??

Best regards to all.

Max.

(Incidentally, the small 'c' in crufts is intentional !!)