One Man Banned

Reclaiming Bank Charges.....has anyone done this?

I have just written to my bank to ask them to refund all the charges they have placed on my account in the last six years. With interest this is over £1200!!

There's a bit of a campaign going on at the minute regarding this as its fair to say that the charges banks impose can no-way be indicative of the real cost to the banks and are therefore illegal. So far most banks are paying up to avoid going to court to prove themselves in the right

I first heard about it all on the moneysavingexpert.com site - Martin Lewis who does the money spot Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show. It has taken a while to do it myself but now I know how much they've made from me I'm quite :evil: .

Have any of you done this and how did you get along?

I've put a link here at the moneysavingexpert website that explains all about it, there's even a nifty calculator that works it all out for you to add on the interest they owe you at the statutory rate of 8%!

I'll obviously let you all know how I get along with the lovely HSBC - they've got 14 days to get back to me!

A

xx

Our Financial Advisor told us about this. he said there was a website coming which has all the letters on it to make it really easy. But I can't find it.

He said people are getting loads back and there is nothing the banks can do about it. Apparently they have separate funds put aside to cover this massive expense if it takes off. I think they are also trying to get a law through to protect themselves, but it's not there yet so we need to do it now!

Had a letter from the bank this morning after having two "delaying" letters from them.

They have been mindful of their wording, of course, but for commercial reasons only they have made an offer of £900.00 in settlement - they won't pay back the interest I claimed [just there to see if they did if I'm honest] although they seem to think I requested the interest I paid on overdraft funds - err no as that bit of the borrowing is fine it's the interest on ....BORROWING!! duh! :roll: )

Think I may accept it as it has been a while and it's only just over £100.00 short of what they have charged me in the last six years. And I had always thought that the money was lost forever, never to be seen again!

What a good week this is turning out to be!

I think I'm going to enjoy 2007!

A

xx

Did you change your bank Andrew? Did they tell you to "get lost" after offering to pay out?

Nope they offered a settlement and that was it.

To be honest, despite all the advice telling me to open another account, just in case, I didn't bother. I would have happily then gone to the Financial Services Authority as they would not have been treating me fairly had they threatened to do so. Although this was ok for me, if anyone else were to do this, follow advice from many people and make an informed choice!

Make sure you spend it on something nice! Very Happy

Well there is a little something in the pipeline but I will reveal all about it when it as all been finalised and agreed etc. Til then I'm staying quiet! :wink:

A

xx

Ahemmm - I work for a v large bank we are not all evil!!!!!! :D

the people i speak to when i need to ring the bank have always been extremely pleasant - probably the nicest people i have dealt with over the phone :shock:

and I work in customer service - so I know good service when I get it!

the bank has still ripped me off way back in the past though