K-F-C

Feeding prawn shells to chickens...

I've just eaten some tasty shell-on prawns for lunch and googled to see whether I could compost the shells... I found an Australian forum that said you can... or you can feed them to chickens?!

Has anyone here ever done this? Just want to confirm that it's ok?

I've done a bit more research on the Austrlian based forums... and it seems as though feeding prawns shells, tails and heads to chickens (or 'Chooks' as those crazy Australian's say in there typically charming way of abusing the English language) is quite common... apparently they are a good source of calcium and help to strengthen the eggshells!

Anyways... just fed a few to mine and they lapped them up!

I put the rest in the composter as I didn't want them to over indulge... or give the yolks a pinkish hue as one 'Aussie' poster commented!

Hello guys,

we always give our prawn shells and heads to our chickens. They are full of essential nutrients and vitamins that can benefit your flock.

I’m not saying daily but if we have them the Chooks get the scraps. Never had a problem and eggs are not tainted.