Ain't Nobody Here

Product warranty - is it worth getting?

I've just bought a lovely flatscreen tv/monitor for YS's birthday tomorrow (mainly for the Xbox, there's no TV reception).

Currys offer a "Whatever Happens Next" product support service. Normally I don't touch these warranty things with a barge pole but as it's a fairly portable, potentially knockoverable TV in a teenager's bedroom (albeit he's quite a sensible lad!) I'm considering it.

It's £59 for 5 years cover. They will repair it (even if it's accidental damage) no matter how many times it breaks down.

Would you go for it? Have you in the past and regretted it?

£59 for 5 years seems reasonable to me :D

The thing is, if you get the warranty nothing will ever happen :roll:

But if you don't you can garantee that something will :roll:

When we got our new dvd player we got the three years warranty, it was fine and never broke down so we thought, okay maybe we shouldn;t have got it.

The day after the three year warranty expired, it killed itself :roll:

For me, these warrantythings are very touch and go.

I would go for the warranty though as it seems fair, especially if its potentially knockoverable :wink:

Hope your YS has a good birthday :D

Both my OH and I worked 'in the trade' for a number of years and I would say on a TV it isn't worth it, you'll only be filling the salesman's (or more likely his manager's) pocket. We only bother ourselves if it is something that uses both electricity and water!

Accidental damage will almost certainly be covered on your contents insurance and as a general rule things like TV's, especially reputable known brands either break almost immediately or not for years and years. OH has been waiting to get his shiny new flat screen for a good 2 years but the old TV simply refuses to die, and I have wisely invested the cash in more chooks and a WIR! :lol:

Like all insurance though it is a calculated risk.....

Like you, I normally avoid these things: the "best" offer we had was a warrnaty on a DVD player - the machine was dead sheap, about £30 or something, teh warranty offered us was £29. I can't remember the exact figures, but pretty much the warranty was the same cost as the appliciance.

If accidental damage is on your home insurance and you don't have a scary excess, then I wouldn't bother.

I'd agree - it's probably covered under your house insurance, so you'd be paying extra for something you already have, and the likelihood is in 4.5 years you'll want to upgrade it.

I am very cynical about these 'warranties' - not usually worth the paper they are written on, but they can make a lot of money for the sales people.

Imagine if you took out the warranty on all new electrical purchases. Now, imagine how much money you save by not taking any of them...

Given that not all (if any) of your appliances and gadgets are going to go wrong during the warranty period, then you have easily saved enough to repair or replace the ones that do!

(Put the money is a separate savings account if you want to be sure.)

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it until somebody can prove otherwise!

We don't buy extended warrantees and the suchlike. We decided a number of years ago (15?) that each time we bought something we would bank the equivalent of the EW & keep a record of it ringfenced. We worked out a monthly equivalent of the payment & paid it in to our bank account. As time went on the monthly payments built up to £30 a month (based on a set number of appliances which we identified as an ideal) which we didn't miss as we never saw it (money goes in as part of the budgetting account at each pay day).

As a result we've built up a fund of several hundred pounds which we use to replace appliances when they become obsolete including those that weren't identified by us under out "home cover" (eg. toaster, deep fat fryer, iron). We find we've always got a buffer and the products we've bought have never needed replacing within the warrantee time anyway, so we get to keep the money :lol: So in effect we insure ourselves 8)8)

Just thought this might be worth sharing.

As others have said Accidental Damage should be on your household insurance - if it isn't and you have a teenager you should get it put on!

I don't believe in extended warranties. I buy TV's from John Lewis where the 5 year warranty is standard.

It's starting to remind me of mobile phone insurance. What is that for? I just lost a VERY expensive phone in New York. Its covered on my household insurance - albeit subject to an excess. What isn't covered is someone making calls on it but I realised I'd lost it within a minute - went to look for it and it had already been taken (I must have left it in the loo as I had it at Michael Jackson and the next place I went was the loo - I was 100 yards away at the lift when I realised it was gone!). Being in NYC and knowing it could cost me a small fortune to call Vodaphone - I jumped onto the internet and got a friend to cancel phone and sim for me. No calls got made. Mobile phone insurance costs about £7 a month so can be rather costly. I have damage insurance on it elsewhere.

It's starting to remind me of mobile phone insurance. What is that for? I just lost a VERY expensive phone in New York. Its covered on my household insurance - albeit subject to an excess. What isn't covered is someone making calls on it but I realised I'd lost it within a minute - went to look for it and it had already been taken (I must have left it in the loo as I had it at Michael Jackson and the next place I went was the loo - I was 100 yards away at the lift when I realised it was gone!). Being in NYC and knowing it could cost me a small fortune to call Vodaphone - I jumped onto the internet and got a friend to cancel phone and sim for me. No calls got made. Mobile phone insurance costs about £7 a month so can be rather costly. I have damage insurance on it elsewhere.

Oh no, not the new Nokia???

Yes SOB! flaming woman at Madam Tussauds said "oh we usually get phones back unless they are I Phones" I'm like yeah someone would keep a rather pants I Phone and give that back. No sign of it of course.