Lesley

Irish Cream

I found these recipes when looking for an alternative to a kit.

I'll probably make version 1 and the coffee liquer recipe.

Irish Cream 1

Ingredients:

6 eggs

14 ozs Nestlé sweetened condensed milk

10 fluid ozs single cream

4 tablespoons Camp Coffee

9 fluid ozs whisky (one third of a bottle)

Method:

Whip up eggs and blend in other ingredients.

When blending, only mix to a good, even colour - do not over whisk.

Strain before bottling to remove the gristly bits from the egg.

Makes 1 5/8 bottles.

Irish Cream 2

Like most things made at home, this DIY Baileys is much tastier and moreish than any Irish liqueur you can buy in the shops

INGREDIENTS:

450ml whisky

1 400g can evaporated milk

1 400g can condensed milk

1 tsp instant coffee

½ tsp vanilla extract

60ml Kahlua (optional)

PREPARATION:

Whizz everything together in a blender for 1 minute. Bottle and store in a refrigerator.

Irish Cream 3

INGREDIENTS

1 cup double cream

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey

1 teaspoon instant coffee granules

2 tablespoons chocolate syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon almond extract

DIRECTIONS

In a blender, combine double cream, sweetened condensed milk, Irish whiskey, instant coffee, chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Blend on high for 20 to 30 seconds. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. Shake well before serving.

Coffee Liqueur (I don't know what a Vodka fifth is?)

Ingredients

4 cups sugar

2 cups water

2/3 cups instant coffee

10 whole coffee beans, whole

1 x vodka fifth

1 whole vanilla bean two to three inches

Directions

Combine water, sugar, and coffee in a saucepan and bring to a full boil. Skim off the froth and allow to cool thoroughly. Pour into the container. Add vodka, coffee beans (optional but will add a fuller flavor), and vanilla bean. Store in a dark place for 3 weeks. Strain and filter. Ready to serve.

Notes:

*A brandy/vodka mix may be substituted for a simulated "Kahlua"

*A rum/vodka mix may be used to simulate "Tia Maria"

And a link to a recipe site here

You bet. They are harder to find here in Utah now. Used to be the most popular size sold to folks with a drinking problem - enough to get completely legless, without leaving any in the bottle for a passer-by to steal when you pass out. . .

Once again our ridiculous alcohol laws (restricting sale of fifths) compete with polygamy as the public face of Utah :roll: No wonder folks choose Colorado to ski in 3 to 1 over Utah!

These sound lovely Lesley, I might have a go. How long do you think they will keep for and i presume that they need refrigeration :?:

I know you'll all think that lasting a long time shouldn't be a problem, but i'm the only one that will be drinking it.

Anne

Lesley,

Don't know if it is the same in the UK - but alcohol is commonly sold, here in the US, in bottles referred to as a 'fifth'. ie a fifth of a US gallon. I think this works out at roughly three-quarters of a litre for you. Hope this helps. :)

That is a lot of vodka - I was hoping it might be what we have here as a 1/4 bottle :? US gallons are smaller than UK gallons aren't they?

Then a fifth is 750ml?

Which is 75cl = a standard wine bottle size, or the size purchased by everyone on the forum who makes sloe vodka or gin!

:lol:

I bought a 'monster' size bottle for mine :shock::wink:

Anne - I think one recipe said it would keep for two months. I would only keep it as long as I would keep the eggs or cream - 2 weeks. I keep home-made mayo. for 2 weeks.

You bet. They are harder to find here in Utah now. Used to be the most popular size sold to folks with a drinking problem - enough to get completely legless, without leaving any in the bottle for a passer-by to steal when you pass out. . .

Once again our ridiculous alcohol laws (restricting sale of fifths) compete with polygamy as the public face of Utah :roll: No wonder folks choose Colorado to ski in 3 to 1 over Utah!

When we were in Minnesota I was asked to make English Trifle. We had great difficulty finding a liquor store that was open :roll: We could buy any number of guns over the counter in the supermarket - but no alcohol.

Martin - you'll have to ask Carl :lol:

He went into Tesco recently, wearing his man bag and asked a young lad if they'd got any Camp coffee - he just got a completely horrified look :lol::lol:

It's a sweetened coffee and chicory essence - mostly used for cooking. (you can find it in Home Baking in Stratford Tescos - Carl found it eventually :wink: )