Guest indie999

Has anyone got a new Beehaus yet ?

Hi

Everyone new video later tonight. However I have had a lot of concern expressed about the continued use of the Super and the lack of Crown boards. I believe that the clearer boards supplied double up as crown boards and I will be fitting these tonight along with the cover boards. I will be adding the Varroa treatment as well. The supers stay over the top of the cover boards so as to allow for continued feeding for the next 3 weeks [also the verroa treatment] with the feeder that I disregarded earlier. The supers will then be removed and the hive left to themselves until December. With regard to parts supplied I think that Omlet have covered their bases with this one except for the lack of a feeder system.

However as there are several different systems on the market that can be used, they possibly thought that that was not something they should supply. However I do think that was wrong.

I have also been informed that the Omlet due to its design is quite well insulated inits self, and that traditional concerns over heat loss are not a major issue.

I also was well aware of the risks I was was facing as a new keeper overwintering, including the entire loss of the colony. However you have to start somewhere and I don't think that the cost of the Colony was excessive for the pleasure that I have already received and the head start that I think it will give me for the years to come.

Hi Rob

your set up with feed should look a bit like this. (see below)

First shows how the crown boards are used. Like now I am feeding so using the clearer board with the bee escape removed allows the bees access to the feeder. (the one you could not get to work)

The near super has the crown board on top, reason being I have a tray of apiguard on the front section, so crown board need to be raised.

The second pic shows crown board off and even at this time of night the number of bees in the hive.

DSCN1072-1.jpg

DSCN1073-1.jpg

Thanks

I believe that the video that I am trying to post on You tube will show the same as above? The only difference is that I have placed the feeder directly above the brood frames and the verroa treatment between the brood frames and the cover board. !beehaus yellow!

However thanks for the photos as I had some difficulty understanding the autumn layout and the feed setup until i saw them :D:D:D

The only difference is that I have placed the feeder directly above the brood frames and the verroa treatment between the brood frames and the cover board. !beehaus yellow!

WELL DONE ROB! :dance:

Just a note on my hive difference, is my hive is a bit more establised than yous and therfore I have more bees/frames in hence why the feeder is one board in, but STILL over the main brood area.

Ok the Video is now up and running [i have checked oooooo 25 times this am :lol: vane me :whistle: ]

Chooks, well when I next feed the bees I can do a short one to include the Galls of Leicestershire. However, how do i get the icons/smilies into my signature box? when i tried to set up my signature their were no smilies beside the dialog box to use?

GNRGNRGNRGNRGNRGNRGNRGNRGNR!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!egg!!beehaus yellow!!bee!

Do i copy and paste from the reply area into the signature area?

Hard to say as I've only seen the Beehaus properly on your video! The basic principles are the same, i.e. frames, brood body, supers and so on - it took me a while to grasp that the Beehaus was two hives side-by-side as I'd never seen a Dartington. It certainly looks much smarter than my self-assembly National, and I really like the wasp-guard that you showed on this video. Because I'm a beginner too, I'm probably not in the best position to comment, it's all new to me.

I thought my bees were docile but yours are absolute pussycats, I am not brave enough to open my hive without protection, although one of my mentors - a very experienced beekeeper - never wears any. I would caution you to make sure there's nowhere they can crawl up or into though, because that's how I got stung (bee up the leg of my jeans!) and even a docile bee will sting if it gets trapped somewhere.

I got my nucleus in July so I've had longer to feed it up, but they have still only colonised about 8 frames i.e 3 more than the ones I started with. I too am adding syrup and Varroa treatment. Are you keeping a hive record?

Hi all. It is very unlikely that the Beehaus will be coming to the States anytime soon but I want to get my bees up and running this spring. I've joines my local Beekeepers Association and will be volunteering in the "Bee Building" at our county fair selling honey, rolling bees wax candles and the like. Although my course work doesn't start until February I've been doing LOTS of research on my own.

Through my research I've learned that the use of plastic in hive building has gained in popularity here in the States.

I'm not looking to start a debate on plastic vs. wooden but one of the things mentioned is that plasic unlike wood does not breath and sometimes condensation could be a problem in the plastic hives. As I live on an island and the air is often "humid" or "damp" I'm wondering if this should be a factor in my hive buying considerations?

regarding condensation - this is unlikely to be a problem with the BeeHaus as it has a fully open mesh floor which aids hive ventilation. Over wintering on open mesh floors is becoming common place in the UK.

As long as any poly hive has vents in the roof and bees aren't cramped into one box in the heat of the summer, they are fine.

90% of hives in scandinavian countries are Polyhives with no problems

regards

Steve

Thanks Steve...I knew the mesh floor would aid in ventilation of the hive, but wasn't sure about "other" plastic hives. Now I just need to convince Omlet to make the Beehaus available here in the States. :D

Why not try mail order, after all the states is only a UPS flight away

I thought my bees were docile but yours are absolute pussycats, I am not brave enough to open my hive without protection, although one of my mentors - a very experienced beekeeper - never wears any. ..................... Are you keeping a hive record?

Olly, two GREAT points here for any newbeeks...

1. I'd always advise total protection when opening a hive. I have 18 years experience and I have never gone without veil, gloves, boots etc. If you are brave (or foolish in my opinion) to open a hive without a veil then you do risk getting stung. When a bee stings it leaves the stinger in you. As it pumps the venom in, it also releases a pheromone which tells all the other guard bees it is being attacked and they all rush to the defence = lots of stings. I know this as I once got stung through very thin school trousers and ended up removing over 40 stingers from each leg afterwards. It Hurt. So please 'wrap up' when opening a hive, even if you think your bees are calm - they can change their attitude !

2. Hive records are essential for you to remember what you have done to each hive. My memory is pretty good but it helps to write things down a soon as you finish each inspection. While you can get hive record cards from suppliers, a cheaper way is to make your own. I use a spiral bound notebook.

I record whether or not the queen was seen, number of frames with brood on, amount of stores, honey taken, swarm control measures etc. It is a great way of looking back and reviewing what worked or otherwise !

happy beekeeping !

Somerford

I thought my bees were docile but yours are absolute pussycats, I am not brave enough to open my hive without protection, although one of my mentors - a very experienced beekeeper - never wears any. ..................... Are you keeping a hive record?

Olly, two GREAT points here for any newbeeks...

1. I'd always advise total protection when opening a hive. I have 18 years experience and I have never gone without veil, gloves, boots etc. If you are brave (or foolish in my opinion) to open a hive without a veil then you do risk getting stung. When a bee stings it leaves the stinger in you. As it pumps the venom in, it also releases a pheromone which tells all the other guard bees it is being attacked and they all rush to the defence = lots of stings. I know this as I once got stung through very thin school trousers and ended up removing over 40 stingers from each leg afterwards. It Hurt. So please 'wrap up' when opening a hive, even if you think your bees are calm - they can change their attitude !

2. Hive records are essential for you to remember what you have done to each hive. My memory is pretty good but it helps to write things down a soon as you finish each inspection. While you can get hive record cards from suppliers, a cheaper way is to make your own. I use a spiral bound notebook.

I record whether or not the queen was seen, number of frames with brood on, amount of stores, honey taken, swarm control measures etc. It is a great way of looking back and reviewing what worked or otherwise !

happy beekeeping !

Somerford

Hive records started today

Suit or no suit. have to say that as far as I can recall I have never been stung by anything in my life. I'm told it is because of the colour of my hair [red] and that I stink to the average insect so bang goes that affair I had planed with that sassy little Queen. However it is also maybe because it is the quiet season

One of our beekeeping books says to try and manage the hive without wearing gloves - that makes sense to me as I was stung for the first time a couple of weeks ago when checking the hive and that was because I hadn't noticed I had a bee in the crook of my finger..........

I think leaving the gloves off is as far as I'm prepared to go though.

I'm tempted to try without gloves, but I'm waiting till I am a bit more confident with lifting frames in and out. I only use the latex ones anyway, and I could probably get stung through those. There's no way I will be leaving off the veil etc though! As much as anything, it's a psychological thing as I think I could be a bit rattled by having lots of bees buzzing around. I've also had the experience of getting a bee trapped in my hair - not fun.

I've copied a hive record off the BBKA site and keep a printed copy in my bee-keeping folder, however I do sometimes forget to write it up - I need to make sure I get it out before doing an inspection. Some people keep their records in or on the hive - one of our local group folds it into an empty CD case and sticks it on top of the crown board. As I've only the one hive, it's easy enough to write it up afterwards at the moment.

One of our beekeeping books says to try and manage the hive without wearing gloves - that makes sense to me as I was stung for the first time a couple of weeks ago when checking the hive and that was because I hadn't noticed I had a bee in the crook of my finger..........

I think leaving the gloves off is as far as I'm prepared to go though.

Some of our beekeeping group go without gloves and rub clove oil onto their hands. Seems to work :D