Tink

Could she be broody??? - Edited - Its red mite

Hi everyone...

Getting a bit concerned about my Sussex and wondered if anyone had encountered the same thing?

I posted a few days after I got her that she was constantly sat in the nesting box making a cooing noise...well, it seems to have got worse...

We have had her for 1 month now and she should be around 22/23 weeks now. She hasnt laid as yet, isnt crouching and her comb is still pale pink. She seems very young to be broody - and I would have thought they became broody after they had come into lay...

She just seems to sit most of the day, preferably on the nesting box if she gets chance. When shooed out she waits for me to leave and then returns. If we bring treats over she will join in but not as enthusiastically as the others - generally hangs back a bit. Also, when they are free-ranging she just goes and sits under one of the bushes. My Columbine has just started laying and for the last 3 days the sussex sits with her while she lays and then often sits on the egg when she has finished!!

She seems to be eating and drinking (poultry tonic in the water), crop seems OK, was wormed 2 weeks ago and checked for lice....Also, other 3 seem in really good health.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated...just getting a little worried there is something wrong - and she is my 2 year olds favourite....

Thanks everyone for reading the very long ramble....

Edited by Guest

It would be a little unusual if she hasn't come into lay yet.

I would keep turfing her off the nest. :D

Might be worth worming her with Flubenvet just to make sure that worms aren't the cause of her odd behaviour.

Thanks engluntine

Will do...she was sat on the nest when I went out this morning :roll:

She was wormed around 2 weeks ago with Flubenvet, but it might be worth doing it again to make sure - is it ok to do it again or is there a recommended period between doses?

Ive been checking them all now every day for the last week or so for lice/mites as it was my first suspicion and found nothing - Checked Lola again for the 3rd time today and found a red mite :cry: Took the eglu apart and found 2 more on the roosting bars... Only took it apart and scrubbed it down on Wednesday!

Feeling very guilty now as I could have found it earlier :( Think that I didnt really know what I was looking for....

May also explain why the other 2 older girls havent come into lay yet - although they look really healthy!

Given it a scrub out best I can tonight and am going to get some poultry shield tomorrow (or saturday morning if I have to get it online) - wish I had bought some in before....you live and learn I suppose :(

Just hope I caught it early enough and Lola perks up - made her some 'pellet porridge' with honey this evening and she seemed to enjoy it so fingers crossed :pray:

Sorry to hear about the red mite :( . It sounds like you've caught it pretty early though so it should be easier to eradicate :clap: .

Here are some threads about getting rid of them - in case you haven't already seen them :) .

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50155

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48541

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48769