chooksy

Dark Egg Laying Hybrid?

Hiya,

Me again! :oops:

I have a Welsummer who has been laying since Spring and a Cuckoo Maran who is yet to lay. I don't think we'll have dark eggs in the winter. I'm thinking about adding a dark egg laying hybrid to the flock. Which is best? A friend of a friend is getting some "Copper Black" hybrids next week - how are they for laying?

Many thanks

Hx

Copper Black is a colour of a Marans bird, a pure breed. There may be 'copper black' hybrids but this shouldnt be taken as an indication of what colour eggs they may lay

A Speckeldy is a hybrid with Cuckoo Marans in its make-up - it will lay a darker egg

Ive got my eye on a French Wheaton Maran

I adore Maran, I'd love a pure Copper Black or Copper Blue. True Maran eggs are stunning. We have a young Cuckoo Maran but I think she'll be some way off laying yet. Our Welsummer lays beautiful dark eggs and they're REALLY tasty (roll on lunchtime!!), but unfortunately she will stop laying through the winter months - otherwise I'd have a couple more, she has a lovely temperament.

Well, we bought a Copper Black Hybrid and Bluebelle Hybrid on Friday night, they've settled in well with the others. One thing though, the Copper Black Hybrid (looks like a Copper Black Maran but with no leg feathers), has a BLACK comb! Whats that all about?!

Hi,

My most recent copper black hybrid looks almost like a crow and also has a black comb! Her legs are almost black, her beak is black, her wattles are red/black....how much you want to bet she'll lay a cream coloured egg?! :lol: She started crouching a few days ago, so I'll be able to tell you soon, I hope!

Saronne