SillyClucker

This is not chicken weather

It has rained here every day for ages now. Our hens love to get of the run and free range. Unfortunately our garden is a bog, if you stand still long enough you'll start to sink. I'm going to make some duckboards up, or should they be called chookboards so that we can get around their range without fear of drowning.

When its raining i tend to keep them in the run so that i know they will be dry but what to do to keep them amused? i have hung sweetcorn up and thrown corn into the hemcore but is there anything else i cold amuse them with? What about throwing in live meal worms into the run - live prey :twisted:

Anyone got a good quick cheap design for chookboards?

Bogged off, Chris

Not my sort of weather either. but has to be said we need the rain in this area to recharge the groundwater to hopefully avoid probs next year (won't' go into Thames water and leakage stats though :wink:

Yes, our garden too is a bog, not very good while we are trying to construct a fab chookie run! OH and my mums husband doing this and mentioned that they keep sinking into the mud today. Chookboards sound like a really good idea :) but can't help with a cheap

Don't know really what to suggest as seems you have done the main things. I'm thinking of hanging redundant CDs in the run. May keep them amused for a short time. Mine certainly seem to go for anything shiney. Live meal worms I feel wouldn't last too long, the dried ones I through in last for just seconds!! :)

All the best

E

its getting beyond a joke here now. the weather forcast says its going to be dry and yet it still pours down. Strange to think we're still on a hose pipe ban and have been for nearly 2 years!

I just feel sorry for the hens although they are always v. eager to get out of the run which is covered and dry. Don't like to think of them going to bed in wet clothes and catching a chill :evil:

We have had quite good weather in Oxford: it was like summer on Saturday, and there has been no rain during the day for a week or so.

I suppose this is why we still have a hosepipe ban.

I am finding keeping chickens much more fun this winter than last, simply because of the good weather. The grass is still growing and so I can let them out to graze.

I think you get the rain during the day, and it reaches us during the night. There has been some very heavy night rain here, but I don't mind that.

It's only a couple of weeks to the shortest day now, and then it will soon be spring, when an Omleteer's fancy turns to some more chickens.

its getting beyond a joke here now. the weather forcast says its going to be dry and yet it still pours down. Strange to think we're still on a hose pipe ban and have been for nearly 2 years!

I just feel sorry for the hens although they are always v. eager to get out of the run which is covered and dry. Don't like to think of them going to bed in wet clothes and catching a chill :evil:

I agree !

Im totally fed up with this wet :evil:

its about time it got cold and dry now!

mine dont like the wet either, I let them out and all they do is run under the caravan!

Ok here goes

First pic of the garden the day we got the laydess.......

c4c90e29.jpg

Current winter area for the laydees with one determined chook on the wrong side of the fence again. The patio area sums up the destruction of Geri!

gardenmess001.jpg

.....note slightly listing fence to the right!

With both chooks where they're supposed to be!

gardenmess002.jpg

Isn't it sweet....just as I take the photo, Molly looks back and pokes her tongue out at me!!

gardenmess003.jpg

The muddy patches on what's left of the grass show more of Geri's destruction!

gardenmess004.jpg

When its raining i tend to keep them in the run so that i know they will be dry but what to do to keep them amused? i have hung sweetcorn up and thrown corn into the hemcore but is there anything else i cold amuse them with? What about throwing in live meal worms into the run - live prey :twisted:

Hi Chris, we're keeping ours in most of the time with this wet weather and the dark afternoons too. I put a whole load of leaves in the run during the week (there is a thread on this), and they do definately seem to be enjoying them. They can search for hours (think they must have eaten all the beasties by now, but it doesnt stop them looking!)