Sheilaz

Depluming mite; flowers of sulphur.

Well, I have the day off for house & chicken maintenance!

I have been suspecting depluming mite & have a large tub of flowers of sulphur.

I can't decide whether to give each hen a bath, then apply dry powder when they are dry.

Or, is it effective mixed into the water for a bath. The latter would be easier, but I don't know how the product works, and I really want it to work.

It'll be fun treating 9 hens!

:) Yes, that's what I remembered, but I wasn't sure of the conclusion. It's a lot of faff (and expense) to use the wrong method, so I want to get it right first time. It's going to be hard getting the necks done!

Ah, if it doesn't dissolve, perhaps the water ensures a good spread of the product.

OK who's first for the bath? :D Weather looks good for mass bathing if I get going now. I'll def. know if it works on Pauline, she looks like a naked neck, and I've now ruled out bullying or moulting, or other mites/lice in her case. Several others have different areas affected & it's harder to be sure of the cause, but I reckon it is, & obviously I'll treat them all anyway.

Thanks Redwing. Any other reports?

Sheila, I've checked with a vet friend, and they recommend washing the chooks with a dog flea shampoo that contains pyrethrum* and then spraying with a permethrin based spray like the Johnsons* one.

Most mites (as I have found) are more tenacious than liuce and far harder to get rid of. They also don't usually respond to Ivermectin*, although Eprinex* does seem to work.

*not licensed for use on poultry in the UK.

There has been an improvement, but not as spectacular as I would have liked in terms of feather re-growth.

I'm hoping that a good moult will kick start them again.

Certainly the reddening of the skin is less and there has been some knicker re-growth. I found mixing the Flowers of Sulphur powder with Johnsons Tee Tree and Lavender Ointment and applying it to the affected areas seemed to have the best effect.

I have also regularly shampood them with the dog shampoo containing pyrethrum.....which makes them smell heavenly.

:D Thanks Claret & Egluntine. I'd thought about the pyrethrum dog shampoo before then, in a panic before holiday, rejected the idea, is there an egg withdrawal with pyrethrum?

What I had done then was to rub diatom onto the red, bald patch which seemed to sooth it ...for a day.

OK, so flowers of sulphur; That went well..... not! :roll: Had to use a deep tubtrug to bathe up to neck, whereas a bucket is OK for the usual wash. Started with the "naked neck", she hated it. Did 2 more who were OK, but couldn't face 6 to go. I couldn't imagine the floating powder, in water that was repelled by the feathers, was really go to sort out depluming mite under the skin.

The cream mix sounds far better, or I might just try rubbing in the powder and see. Not easy to treat a neck though, or around the head.

However, in a full circle, and with a giant tub of sulphur in the garage, I'll be off to Wilko's 1st thing for the dog shampoo I think!

Thanks everyone! :D Do keep posting your depluming mite stories here. Same as Egluntine, some of mine are moulting now, but I'm certain there was something else bothering them.

My Scraggles was also poorly, and had a horrid bum that needed bathing ot I wouldn't have done her then. Although at the time I didn't know if the depluming mite was making her ill.

Any way not much to see from the bath but def an overnight improvemenyt in the redness when mixing FOS to tea trea, but also used neem oil(not same day)

Anyway she was ill and also on antibiotics AND moulting now, but looking better feathered.

The whole thing is taking it's toll, as she was so scraggly for so long I wonder if she had the mite along too, wuth the lice that she came with too :(