chooklady

Guineas and rabbits together?

Well I have had a rabbit and gineau pigs living together with no problems at all for nearly 12 years until my lovely bunny Godzilla (I didn't choose the name) dies this summer. they all used to cuddle up together and the rabbit used to groom one of the pigggies, Pepper incessantly. Pepper was quite desolate for a while after he died.

I think as long as you have a roomy cage and run, so there is room for them to get away from each other when they need to, you will be fine.

We have two guineas and a dwarf lionhead rabbit living happily in an eglu! Our vet says that they are almost always fine living together. For preference I'd keep a male rabbit though as they are generally more laid back when adults. All rabbits can be 'teenagers' though so the need watching carefully with guineapigs as they go through puberty and a male might need catrating if he is trying to mount the guineas.

Also, in previous discussions about guineas and rabbits together people have mentioned about rabbits and guineapigs not being able to communicate but I wouldn't worry about that.... cross species communication is obviously possible... just think about how devoted cats and dogs can be to each other.... and how dogs and humans communicate!

I wouldn't keep the 2 together in a wooden hutch but when we had 2 rabbits and 2 guineas a few years ago, 1 rabbit escaped and 1 guinea died we put the guinea with the rabbit. The rabbit was very laid back mini lop and they lived in a large 6' x 4' x 4' lean to type hutch with 4'x 6' attached run. ots of hidey places but they loved each other and cuddled up all the time. The guinea out lived the rabbit.