Ain't Nobody Here

Raised beds over the winter?

No you dont need to but if you do then the bed will be weedfree and the soil a little warmer come spring

You could also try 'green manure' seeds which grow to cover the area and stops nutrients leaching form the soil over wibter, late winter you just dig the plants in to provide more nutrients

If they aren't in use I think covering them would be a good idea. Black plastic or cardboard maybe. It will stop weeds, soil erosion and the leaching of nutrients from the soil.

I have some leeks which I'm going to leave in over the winter. They are a bit small right now. If they don't grow over the winter then at least they will have a good start early next year.

There are things that will benefit from being left in over the winter, eg. garlic.

Certain onions can be grown over the winter. Kale is very hardy.

I tend to sow green manures, for a number of reasons:

1) They can be nitrogen fixers / nitrogen lifters, so increase the availability of nitrogen in the soil

2) They surpress weed growth

3) They can be dug back into the soil a few weeks before planting, and will break down and provide nutrients for whatever follows next

More importantly, though, is the school of thought that holds covering an area with plastic/carpet/cardboard/etc actually INCREASES the slug burden, as it provides a nice, damp, warm place out of reach of the birds for the slugs to live and breed.

I read somewhere that 90% of the slug population lives in the soil, rather than the few we see on top of it! I, for one, have enough of a problem with slugs without making life nice and cosy for them!!!

Overall, I'd recommend green manures. You do need to think about what you are going to plant in the bed next year, and use the green manure in rotation with your other plants. For instance, don't use fodder radish in a bed that you intend using for brassicas, don't use tares in a bed that you will be planting with beans.

The organic gardening catalogue http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_51&osCsid=d815cc208bb44d7d71bfa19071b5eaf0 has a nice section explaining about the different types of green manures.

Peter