elmerfud

bunnie bed time,

This has turned into a two person job, the rabbits are having so much fun they won't go to bed. One person needs to man the eglu door as the other tries to shoo them in, the dog trick doesn't work any more either as they just sit and ignore him now, happy days.

I don't know anything about rabbits but now that I have got to know my hens I am confident that they are safe in the run. But it's very frustrating I'm sure. My cats always come on at night and occassionally one or both of them refuse to come in - usually on a night when I have to get up early next day and wanted to go to bed at a sensible hour :roll: anyway after one of the cats was run over earlier this year I get terribly paniccy about it.

Hope you get your bunnies tucked up soon.

Hi Elmerfud

Sorry that I didn't see this sooner.

Bunnies don't usually go to bed at an appointed time like chooks do. In fact they are usually quite active at night and sleep more in the middle of the day - just like some people!

I haven't got a Rablu yet, mine are still in a wooden hutch. But I wouldn't worry too much about them going to bed and being shut in at night. In fact, unless the weather was really bad, I would leave the Rablu door open at night so that they can go out into the run and graze in safety - they'll soon hop back in if they feel threatened.

Give your bunnies a hug for me :)

I've trained my rabbits to go to bed and now as soon as it gets dark they sit in their hutch and wait for me! Get them to go in with food and say 'bedtime' and when they go in praise them. You have to be patient with them but once they know how to do it they love showing 'mummy' what clever bunnies they are! :D

i never close my rabbits in the rabu on a night...only as they are stubarn through and through. and will not go in...with 3 of them, u get 2 in 3rd goes in other 2 run out (well 2 now as one has justbecome an indoor rabit).

I have a huge peice of plastic now chich covers the top and sides (all but the end were door is) of the run....so even in really windy, wet nights they have a dry area...plus dont know if its jut my rabu, but u can close the door to so it blocks of wind also....

the odd ocasion i shut them in allyou here is thud thud thud as there headbutting the door

We are new rabbit and eglu owners and have been shutting the rabbits in for the past few nights but they really don't want to go. It feels really cruel especially as the nights are now so long! We are intending to leave the door open tonight so they can choose to go to bed or to be outside. What does everyone else do? We are worried about Mr Fox frightening them or them digging (although they don't seem to be diggers so far)

Please reassure us it's OK to leave them in the run all night! :?

I would suggest that you do just that and leave to door open, then they can go in the rablu if they feel threatened. I would make sure, though, that they have mesh under the run to stop them digging out - the Omlet lads were in the process of designing one - might be an idea to ring them and see if it is available. Otherwise I would make one out of welded mesh rather than just chicken wire - it is stronger.

Clare

having gone into her rablu every night for the last month or so whilst being enticed by a treat, now that the really cold weather had arrived my rabbit has started completely refusing to be shut in at night! (she does seem to be resting in the house during the day instead) i'm sure that she is ok but the sudden and determined change of heart is a little worrying- are anyone else's rabbits out all night at the moment?

We have always left ours out all night - they definitely seem to be happier with the choice of in or out. But we are new to this! The eglu is insulated so they should be oK. I thought that was all part of the design, that they should have the choice like in the wild? They seem to snuggle together just outside the hutch part and drag some straw outside. The only thing is they seem to be starving all the time so I make sure there's lots of hay available.

I was thinking of getting some bubble wrap to put over thetop of the hutch/run just for extra warmth. What do you think?

I know how you feel Emma, I was like that too, and contacted the breeder who I bought our bunnies form (she is a fantastic source of knowledge on all things bunny) and she reassured me that they will be fine.

My duplex hutch has an Ikea shower curtain rigged up to come down over the front and fasten at the bottom in very cold or excessively wet weather. it still has plenty of 'flap' and air movement, but keeps the worst weather out.

I put my rabbit in the eglu at night because she doesn't sleep during the day and probably if I left her in the run all night she wouldn't sleep! :roll: Anyway, I think this is better because if Mr. Fox did appear then she wouldn't scare herself to death because she wouldn't be able to see him!

I don't know if this works for anyone elses bunnines but to get my rabbit in I close the eglu door and she comes up to it and stands up against it and when I open it she hops in! :D Interesting idea or what?

From Andy, Honey the rabbit and a (orange eglu)

Just make sure your run is well pegged down if it worries you.

My 2 babies have the door left open all the time for them, they are quite happy.

I must say the first thing I do in the morning is peek out of the window to make sure all is well :roll: