buddoggy

Bonfire Night.........Any ideas?????

Hi Guys,

Heres the worry.......Bonfire night.......or nights as it seems to be by us!

This is my first year with the girls and I am a bit concerned about the noise from the fireworks .Mine dont have the luxury of an Eglu as I imagine with them being insulated they are probably well sound proofed.

Any ideas on how they might fair.

xxx

Last year was my first bonfire night with chooks and I was worried sick about it for a week. For the few nights around the beginning of November, I started shutting the cube door at night (they are inside a secure walk in run, so I normally leave the cube door open).

But fear not, In the event, all my fretting was for nowt. The girls were absolutely fine, only slightly irked that they had to wait for me to let them out in the mornings! No frights caused by fireworks as far as I could tell. I think once they get settled inside their roost, they go into a sort of trance and nothing seems to bother them until dawn.

Having forgotten in April of last year that my garden not only backs up onto a rather noisy elevated road traffic bridge support but is also adjacent to Midsummer Common where fireworks go off for at least a month before the official Guy Fawkes Night show and for two or three months afterwards, it did eventually dawn on me that my lovely chooks might be upset by all the commotion.

I also couldn't have predicted that only a few months after the Cube had been set up in my back garden that the sewers in the back passage would have collapsed and needed replacement which took almost a year of loud sounds and huge vibrations.

I never tried to modify the situation as I felt (or at least hoped) that their Cube would give them the security that they needed.

Frankly, I didn't see any indication that they suffered from fireworks or the relentless upheaval of the construction works. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that chickens who become used to noise and other goings on might be less traumatised by Bonfire Night than chooks who have never got used to such things earlier in their lives.

I really don't like the idea that children and animals or any of the rest of us "are resiliant" and can easily cope with trauma, but I do think that as long as there is no individual impact on a critter, it may be able to cope.

Though neither is desirable, there is a difference between being frightened and being harmed.

Hope this helps.

Having forgotten in April of last year that my garden not only backs up onto a rather noisy elevated road traffic bridge support but is also adjacent to Midsummer Common where fireworks go off for at least a month before the official Guy Fawkes Night show and for two or three months afterwards, it did eventually dawn on me that my lovely chooks might be upset by all the commotion.

Completely off topic... but I'm very jealous of your location! I've been wanting to move into the city for ages now but am stuck on the outskirts because of the mortgage crisis :(

I love the idea of being near to Midsummer Common - it sounds like somewhere Inspector Barnaby might visit........ I do like John Nettles :D ......

Hmmm, anyway, I live near where the soldiers love to practice their shooting, bombs, bangs etc so sometimes it is quite noisy and my girls seem to be ok so I'm hoping they will be fine for what will be their first Bonfire season.

My dog gets more upset....if only the firworks were just on 5th Nov , maybe with the recession people won't buy so many.

don't worry about fireworks and chickens.. they go into a coma I think when they go to bed... :lol: our house is between 2 others who both had bangers and rockets last year and we have chuck tv installed so we watched them on tv to see if they got stressed... not a flinch all night not even when a 24 gun salute style firework went off they just snoozed.... they were a bit put out next day when a dead rocket had landed in the middle of the garden over night covering over a potential feast of grass... :wink: