LaPoule

Bully getting worse

Apologies in advance for the length of this post :shock:

This spring we added two hybrids to our flock (dimished to two at that point), and they all integrated fairly quickly and painlessly. About two months later we added three bantams, and then another two bantams another month later. We kept the new bantams separated from the others, and realised that it might always be a possibility that the two flocks might never integrate, due to the size issues.

After about a month, free ranging seemed to go quite well - there was enough space for everyone to keep out of each other's ways if necessary (with bumper bits fitted to all the older girls/ hybrids). We then integrated the bantams in with the original two - the thinking behind this was that they are both fairly small chickens (a VERY large Poland bantam, and a Fayoumi - Picasso and Peep), and the top chooks, so if we could get them to accept the bantams, the hybrids (Cloudberry and Lady Hamilton) might follow suit. Peep and Picasso accepted the little ones very easily.

Everyone was still free-ranging together quite happily, and we decided to try and integrate Lady Hamilton into the larger flock, as she seemed to be next in the pecking order, and Cloudberry seemed a little meaner, so some extra time for her wouldn't go amiss. It was a little harder, but LH too is now integrated. During this time, Cloudberry was kept in the (red eglu), right next to the (cube purple), so that they could all see each other. She was not allowed to free range with the others though, as when they could get together, her and LH spent all their time together rather than integrating. Very cliquey.

Cloudberry resisted all attempts at integration, seeming to get worse and worse. When it appeared that she tried to peck at Picasso (top chook), who has not been well, I decided that stronger measures were necessary, so moved the (red eglu) so that she couldn't see the others. After a week in solitary, we tried free ranging her with the others, but she definitely tried to have a go at Picasso, pulling a chunk of her head feathers out! She was put in solitary again, but when we tried to free range them again this weekend, she was even worse and there was a full on fight with Peep!!

Obviously, the solitary isn't working for her, it seems to be making her worse! We have sectioned off part of the cube run (it runs to 6m) and she has been in there since the weekend. The feeding stations are quite close together, and I haven't seen any signs of aggressiveness through the mesh.

Any other suggestions? Is it normal for a chicken to go into solitary and come out bolshier than ever?! Obviously, if we can't ever integrate her, she will have to live separately with LH, but any suggestions most welcome!

Can you try confusing her by mixing her 1 on 2 with different girls every day and keeping a spray to hand to curb any bad behaviour. Maybe keep Picasso out of this for a while.

Mostin suggested the divide and conquer approach to me on integrating my ex batts and it worked a treat, and I am now following the same approach with my newbies :D

Thanks Space Chick - I can't believe someone read my whole chicken opus!

I have thought about the divide and conquer technique, but it would have to be weekends only (it's dark by the time we get home from work now) - would just a few hours at a time, and just at weekends, do the trick, do you think?

I'm a great belever in divide and conquer and bumper bits too.

If she starts her nonsense, make her submit to you. Make her see that she isn't top hen, you are. An icy blast with a hosepipe is also a fairly effective way of startling them out of it. Inevitably, there will be some skirmishing thugh. I'd only intervene if theings get really ugly. A lot of it is grandstanding.

Hosepipe sounds a bit extreme :shock: but you have been having a rough time. Cloudberry does sound like she needs a bumperbit to prevent injuries while settling their problems. :? If only to protect Picasso.

Your run is very long so shouldn't be overcrowded but wonder if you have/need some obstacles in there to give them room to hide from eachother when necessary. Good luck with this weekend. :D

When we integrated Florence and Martha just recently, as we were putting 2 in with 8, we did the divide and conquer, mixed with altogether freeranging and perches for them to escape to in the run.........they were still 'got at' but in a pecking order acceptable way rather than a bullying way.

We did the divide and conquer every day for a week - in fact we ended up being confused of who was in where, so hopefully it confused them more. :D

We are now into week 3 of them being in together and they are starting to mingle, though are still obviously outsiders - but everyone is happy & healthy. :D

ive had the same 3rd week in solitary, free ranging is ok a few pecks here and there, yesterday put her in with the other 2 to see how it went in the wir, absolute bedlam in the first 2 mins with the bully pulling lumps out, pushed her off and even stood in there, didnt make a differance so thats it all 3 will have to go and ill start again unfortunatley, ive tried peck spray, water hose and solitary and nothing ahs worked, mine might be differant as when we got them there was obvious signs of bullying which has got worse as time has gone on.

could you maybe find the bully hen a new home?

:shock: and there was me looking forward to a session with the new hosepipe :twisted::twisted: (Joking!)

I'm sure she and I will come to some sort of agreement soon :wink:

Just yesterday, I watched Picasso give Lady Hamilton a right telling off, because she pecked a sore spot (Picasso's moulting, and keeps fidgeting with the new feathers, so there was a spot of blood from a broken quill). I can tell you, LH won't do that again in a hurry!

Clearly, Cloudberry has pretensions of grandeur, trying to take on both Peep and Picasso!

Sprayed a bit of gentian violet on the broken quill - and then got some on my new cardi :evil:

I now have purple spots on my skirt, all over the inside of the cube, and my cardi (not all from the same session though) - any suggestions on spot removal?!

ive had the same 3rd week in solitary, free ranging is ok a few pecks here and there, yesterday put her in with the other 2 to see how it went in the wir, absolute bedlam in the first 2 mins with the bully pulling lumps out, pushed her off and even stood in there, didnt make a differance so thats it all 3 will have to go and ill start again unfortunatley, ive tried peck spray, water hose and solitary and nothing ahs worked, mine might be differant as when we got them there was obvious signs of bullying which has got worse as time has gone on.

Nooooooo, LaPoule, not your bully, KEVS bully :D Sounds like Cloudberry's a right character, sure she'll setlte eventually :D