Joojoo

Abandoned kittens in the news

It broke my heart too :cry::cry: I suppose it's an inevitable consequence of the credit crunch in some respects but that really doesn't make it any easier to bear. I try to do everything I can for local animal charities too and have been involved with our local Cats Protection for 6 years - they are all struggling :( apart from the flipping RSPCA who don't deserve donations in the first place with their inhumane policies :evil:

Please would all of you who work for animal rescue places get a debate going about the potential owner vetting process. We got our first kitten through a friend of a friend. We were able to get a second kitten a couple of years later from a rescue centre because we already had a cat but many centres would only agree to us taking two kittens even with an existing cat. I didn't dare explain I wouldn't be able to cope with 3 cats as I'm allergic or they would not let me have any. It took so long I nearly gave up on the rescue centres but I really didn't want to add to the problem by going to a pet shop.

Both my cats are neutered although they have such lovely natures it does feel a slight shame their genes aren't being passed on. The different ages has worked wonderfully and they get on extremely well.

When my sister wanted to get two kittens for my nephew she tried every cat rescue place in nearly 50 mile radius and no one would let her have kittens because she works, even though there are people in and out of the house at different times all day and she would have been able to home-work the first few weeks.

A friend recently offered her livery yard as an overflow for the RSPCA; she knows an inspector, who rang as she'd just rescued a dozen kits from appalling circumstances and the rescue centres were full - the kits would have been out down if no places could be found. My friend took them in and kept them in one of her loose boxes, wormed and fed them - they have all since been rehomed..... in fact the outlaws had wee Archie, who has settled in very well.

6a00ccff89858867310123f16ce6f8860f-500pi

When we took Ozzy and Cyndi two years ago, from a local cat rescue, they were concerned about our road. It is quiet and 20mph. Despite this Cyndi was killed earlier this year. Now we will never be allowed another kitten from the cat rescue because of this, so we'll have to ask around the local farms if we want another cat.

I do think the rescues need to be less strict. I have had many cats over the years and Cyndi was the only one killed on the road. That was more to do with her personality than the road, and cats, being cats, will find trouble if they want it.

Some rural cats have large territories and will travel a long way and are almost certain to find a road, even if they don't live near one. We have two cats visit our woods, obviously well cared for if a bit feral, probably farm cats. The nearest farms are a fair way away and both across a very busy road. Yet I suspect the rescue would let them have cats because they are farms.

Part of the crisis does seem to be made by rescues having such strict criteria. Most cats are OK near most roads most of the time.

I can only say what happens locally to us, but I know that the RSPCA have the most ridiculous criteria in place when it comes to rehoming cats/kittens in particular. So many people get turned down because they work which is totally ludicrous. The needs of a cat are completely different to those of a dog. I totally agree that someone should be there for a dog at periods throughout the day to let it out for a wee or take it for a walk but cats are quite happy being left to sleep indoors or outside playing all day. So long as they've got water and litter trays (if necessary) they are fine. This attitude prevents so many unwanted cats and kittens from finding people to take them and results in huge numbers unnecessarily being PTS :evil: .

Docsquid - I was a home assessor for our local Cats Protection prior to my Dad becoming poorly and they have really sensible policies when it comes to road accidents. Obviously, if someone lived on a main road they wouldn't rehome an outdoor cat but are happy if they are going to be kept as a house cat. However, in the event of an accident like that which saw you sadly lose Cyndi, they are realistic and look at every situation individually. As we all know accidents can happen anywhere - the chances are very slim when you live somewhere so quiet but unfortunately it's never going to be impossible unless they are kept in all the time. Our CPL take the view that even if you have lost a cat in a car accident, if the risks of it happening again are slim enough, they would still rehome in that instance so it may be worth you trying the local CPL to you and explaining what happened with Cyndi. I would expect that they would come round to have a look at your house and the road etc and hopefully they would be able to let you have another.

http://www.cats.org.uk/contact/findcp_stage3.asp?item=238&Submit.x=13&Submit.y=11&Submit=submit&region=2

Have you read the comments at the bottom of the article? Apparently the DM has this situation way wrong and none of the kittens/cats are going to be destroyed, so that's a relief.

Re vetting - it does seem to vary from place to place. Manchester Dogs Home don't vet at all - we brought Charlie home the same day we saw him, with no home-check or anything. It's fine for us as we're responsible owners, but I do wonder if there should be some checking system in place overall.