goodcluck

My grass and poo!

(hatch) Hi there, I'm a complete novice chicken keeper and am getting on fine with the eglu and am moving it round every 7 days, but as we in the UK have such lovely weather this time of the year, the lawn is getting wetter and less absorbent and of course, the chickens poo in their run and its really ruining the lawn. Now I'm no priss whose worried about my pretty lawn (a) coz it isn't pretty in the first place and b) coz I've got two dogs that run round on it!), but I'd still rather it look green that like a brown bog! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what can I put on the grass in the run that will stop the poo getting all compacted into the grass and that obviously won't go horrid in the rain or blow all over the place in the wind? Thanks eggsperts :think:

Grass and chickens are not a good combination!

I think many of us started out with the idea we could keep them on grass and move them around every few days. As you say, it doesn't work in the UK climate in winter. So I think people have opted for either no grass or have found a more permanent solution.

Mine love mooching in the borders actually so grass isn't essential. Hope that helps - if not a lot!

Tricia

Hi All

I dug an 8ft x 4ft 6 inch deep pit for my run then lined it with old butyl liner (butyl is the best because it is so thick.) I then filled the pit with wood chips given free by tree surgeons who are thankful to get rid of it. It makes and excellent medium for them to scratch about in. Then when it is ready for changing I just brush it all out and put it into bags. I can then wash the liner with a hose pipe and make it all clean again. Doing it this way makes the whole process easy and quick. Don't worry the liner won't hold water because it is laid completely flat so that the rain water just drains away. If you are still worried about water logging then just pierce holes in it with a garden fork. The whole area was then surounded by paving stones to stop the mess. It looked ok too.