skye

Ex-batt/ex-barn rescue 21 November Surrey... pics thread!

:clap::clap: Gorgeous Tutti Frutti! Tallulah and Ursula look like they've both feathered up beautifully in the past four weeks!

Don't have any snowy pics, but I did take a couple of pics in the run of our three ex-barnies Dorcas, Queenie and Zilla yesterday. It's four weeks since they came to live with us so I thought I'd just post them for the record.

Dorcas (puffed up, 'I'm cold, go away!')

IMG_0176.jpg

Zilla (such a beautiful girl and straight to the top of the pecking order!)

IMG_0170.jpg

and Queenie (little scraggy aggy but coming on very well too!)

IMG_0181.jpg

As you can see, all fully integrated with the posh girls in the WIR now :) wasn't as bad as I thought it might be!

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

skye x

Hi everyone, sorry I've been AWOL, I hope you're all well! We're moving house so things are barking mad here - but not long to go now :)

I just thought, before I lose my phone line and broadband for who knows how long, that I'd mark the (nearly) year since two lovely ladies landed in our lives. Ursula managed 8 months of freedom - scatty little lady that she was (always making a bee-line for my lap to nick my marmite on toast and used to sing beautifully) but thankfully Tallulah is going strong, despite a hiccup in July... thank goodness for Nutridrops! She hasn''t laid an egg since but is perfectly happy - and so are we :)

Here they are, happy as Larry:

Tallulah:

tallulah+non-photogenic+1.JPG

And Ursula - taken just a few weeks after she was freed!

Ursula+and+Easter+Island.JPG

Does anyone else have any updates on their 21/11/09 Lucky girls? I'll definitely be getting more, they are just fantastic girls who love their retirement to the full!

Hi you two, lovely to have an update on your girls, although really sorry to hear about Ursula, Tutti Frutti.

Scrambled, I really agree with you that it is so nice to see the girls come out of themselves :)

We have just one of our three girls left, Dorcas. Sadly Queenie and Zlla are no longer with us, but at least they had six and eight months of spoiling first.

Here are a couple of pictures of Dorcas taken just recently. She was 'helping' us make cider in the garden :D

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

Good luck with the move Tutti Frutti!

skye x

Hello folks!

Just wondering, as we approach 18 months of freedom, how many of our girls managed to have as long out of the farming system as they had in it?

Sadly, both of mine have gone now, Ursula last summer to sour crop and Tallulah had to be pts last month. She had such a huge tumour that she couldn't pass her poo but she was sunbathing right up to the last day. As soon as she looked a bit down, we took her to the vet who recommended doing the kindest thing over palliative care :( So she had a happy retirement and didn't suffer at the end and she's now buried under a rockery in the chicken playground (a fenced off FR area).

So our plans for the future... We're raising some chicks now, in the hope of actually getting some eggs! All our girls are getting on a bit now. Anyway, once the chicks get going on the egg front, we'll sign up for some more rescue girls :)

Anyone else?

(Skye, the move went well thank you! seems a lifetime ago now :lol: LOVE the photos of your cider maker :clap::clap::D

What a lovely thread to revisit :D My 4 ex batts reached 18 months of freedom on 10th April this year :dance: I feel very, very lucky that they have all made it to 18 months and, amazingly, are still laying eggs pretty much every day. My girls are so very special.

Wow, congratulations! Lovely girls - and eggs too :lol: Jammy ;)

All our 3 barnies are gone now. Aloo died in November 2010, 11 days short of her year out. Gobby went at the beginning of April this year and Brinjal just last Monday. All were lovely characters who lived live to the full.